White smoke coming from intake exhaust manifold area

White smoke coming from intake exhaust manifold area

Jefftaylor999

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
73' CJ5, 232, T14, D20, D44, D30
new to the forum and looking for some help

I have white smoke coming from intake exhaust manifold area or at least i think its white smoke and not coolant steam. Only does it when the engine warms up. Exhaust tailpipe has no smoke coming out of it.

trying to find a way to upload a movie

73' CJ5, 232, T-14, Dana 20, Dana 44, Dana 30

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Hate to say it-White 'smoke', most of the time is coolant related.
What does the engine oil look like?:confused:
I would stop driving it till this is fixed.
LG

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Hate to say it-White 'smoke', most of the time is coolant related.
What does the engine oil look like?:confused:
I would stop driving it till this is fixed.
LG

x2 white smoke usually means coolant is burning. is the smoke sweet smelling? if so then its differently coolant as for the oil if it looks like a chocolate milkshake then you water in your oil and most likely a blown head gasket.

If you aren't getting any smoke out the tailpipe it could be a leak that's running down and hitting the exhaust manifold and burning off.

It's coming from the rear near the firewall. Cylinder 6 area carb side. I'm pretty sure it's a cracked manifold gasket or manifold itself. I just re torqued all the bolts and it seems to have stopped although it idle for only 5 min. I'm not 100% it's fixed so I will continue to look for coolant leaks. Any thoughts?

It's coming from the rear near the firewall. Cylinder 6 area carb side. I'm pretty sure it's a cracked manifold gasket or manifold itself. I just re torqued all the bolts and it seems to have stopped although it idle for only 5 min. I'm not 100% it's fixed so I will continue to look for coolant leaks. Any thoughts?

is the manifold or the gasket new from a fresh install? if its old your gasket maybe shot and needing replaced. i would also suggest that you use lock tight on the bolts when you reinstall to keep them from back out over time.

also what intake and carb are you running? if you have to pull it all off for new set of gaskets might want to think about a decent after market intake and a new or new to you carb. a good carb set up for the 4.2L is the MC 2100 with the 102 venturi usually found in 72 bronco's with the 302. (there are many other applications as well) or they are all over ebay and craigslist

If coolant is leaking from the intake manifold. Make sure the hoses and fittings are tight.
The only other reason it would leak, would be a crack in the manifold's water jacket.
LG

Thanks Manic. its a old gasket, hoping to get the new one on this weekend.

I would love to get a newer intake manifold and i have been reading about the upgrade. if my exhaust manifold is in good shape could i use that with a junkyard replacement 2V and the 2100. I may have a lead on a 1.08 here locally.

Thanks Manic. its a old gasket, hoping to get the new one on this weekend.

I would love to get a newer intake manifold and i have been reading about the upgrade. if my exhaust manifold is in good shape could i use that with a junkyard replacement 2V and the 2100. I may have a lead on a 1.08 here locally.

yes the 2100 will work with the original intake you just need a carb adapter here is a link i will check for the one i used. Mr Gasket 1937MRG: Carburetor Adapter Kit Large Holley 2-bbl to any Rochester 4-bolt 2-bbl | JEGS

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks