Which Transmission and Transfer Case?

Which Transmission and Transfer Case?

Mike Parmley

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 Project
Hello,

Longtime admirer but first time owner of a Jeep CJ7. I jumped in the deep end over the weekend and bought a real nice rolling project but no motor/transmission/transfer case.

I need advice on which transmission and transfer case would have been stock in a 1980 CJ7.

The VIN decodes to a 258-2bbl with 4 speed manual transmission. It is the heavy variant 4150GVW.

From what I have read over the last week, the Jeep would have had a Tremec T176 with Dana 20.

However, other sources site the Tremec T177 and Dana 300.

Any help would be appreciated!

Either a T176 (maybe T177?) or SR4 4 speed for 1980. Both were available behind the 258. The T176 is the stronger of the 2, but I'm not sure if the GVWR would have been the determining factor or not. As far as T176 vs T177, the only difference is a sighty lower 1st gear. Some sources, including Novak, say only the T176 was available in the CJ and the T177 (& T178) were only available in FSJs. However, T177s have been in CJs.

Transfer case would have been a D300. The Dana 20 was not used after '79.

If you are wanting to do a correct restoration, I'm not sure if there is any way to find out if your CJ came with the T176 or SR4, but I would go with the T176. Also, the 1980 D300 used a different, shorter rear output than the 81 and later version. If you aren't trying to do a full blown correct restoration there are a lot of other good choices of transmissions to choose from.

If the front or rear driveshafts are still there he could measure and post his numbers. The sr4 is a few inches longer and would have different length DS. He could match them up with any original 176/D300 DS length or a sr4 for that matter. Regardless I would go with the T176/D300.

what those guys said and if your not trying to do a full blown restoration i would look into a different set up only because getting and dealing with all the original emissions bs and air cleaners are not worth it. but if that is what your after i can make you a deal as i have several sets of distributors and air cleaners for the 4.2

And I have all the emission parts, tubes, pump, hoses.....:cool:

Thank you all very much. This will get me started at least. I think there is a front drive shaft in the pile but no rear. I’ll see if I can get a measurement on it. More questions to come I am sure.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks