Which MIG welder?

Which MIG welder?

Frosty72

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83’ CJ7 258 STOCK
Hobart handler or Lincoln Electric?
Got some floor pans to weld in and other projects to do. I’ve some some stick welding before but never MIG. is this something you MIG welders would recommend DIYers to try? Or hire it out?

Sure have been happy with my 20 yo Lin. WELD-PAK 100.
I have never had any issue with it and all I use is .035 flux-core wire.
LG

I like my Miller 211
Runs both 220v, and 110v for jobs on the road
You could take a night course at a trade school if you have one local, but with all the info on the internet you could easily learn at home.
Grab some scrap metal and practice.

Both are great, I had a Hobart 125 for a long time, sold it so I could buy a bigger Hobart, like mentioned above practice practice practice, also I like MIG better than the flux core wire less mess to clean. You want to keep your heat down as much as possible, spread your spot welds out as you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m running a miller 211 as well....mostly on 220v...but that 110v sure comes in handy...a great hobby welder..well semi pro really..gas or flux core...

Look at the Vulcan from Harbor Freight. I know, I know “Harbor Freight? How good can that be??”.
I have one at home. I also have a $8,000 Lincoln at work. Up to 1/4-3/8, the Vulcan is just as good! Save yourself some money! Just look at the reviews on YouTube.....

The issue with cheaper welders is them not having the duty cycle to keep up. If you have a cheaper welder go slow, take lots of brakes. Let the welder cool down so it can perform at its max rate.

I have welded plenty at home with a Lincoln and flux core. It will get you through for sure. Just take your time and practice a lot.

I currently run a Miller 252 and it is amazing what you can do with a machine like this.

The issue with cheaper welders is them not having the duty cycle to keep up. If you have a cheaper welder go slow, take lots of brakes. Let the welder cool down so it can perform at its max rate.

I have welded plenty at home with a Lincoln and flux core. It will get you through for sure. Just take your time and practice a lot.

I currently run a Miller 252 and it is amazing what you can do with a machine like this.

Usually that’s true, but, I have the Vulcan Omnipro 220. You compare it with the Lincoln 210mp, they have the exact same duty cycle. Check the specs.
The Lincoln is riddled with problems, just read about them.
The Vulcan has a bigger screen, ability to store custom settings, wider range of currents and more. All for 3-5 hundred less than the Lincoln.
It’s worth a look.
Flux core is.....well, ok, but if you want to do some serious welding and you want it to look decent, true mig is the only way to go.
I have a flux core welder as well. It never leaves the shelf anymore. Just way to much splatter and I hate having the slag to beat off. Might as well stick it.
You certainly will not be welding body panels with flux core.

Usually that’s true, but, I have the Vulcan Omnipro 220. You compare it with the Lincoln 210mp, they have the exact same duty cycle. Check the specs.
The Lincoln is riddled with problems, just read about them.
The Vulcan has a bigger screen, ability to store custom settings, wider range of currents and more. All for 3-5 hundred less than the Lincoln.
It’s worth a look.
Flux core is.....well, ok, but if you want to do some serious welding and you want it to look decent, true mig is the only way to go.
I have a flux core welder as well. It never leaves the shelf anymore. Just way to much splatter and I hate having the slag to beat off. Might as well stick it.
You certainly will not be welding body panels with flux core.

Perhaps the jury is still out, but as a user of a Lincoln 210 for about 15 years, I can say it has been completely faultless machine and has been more than adequate for every job I've tasked it. I also have their magnum 250 spool gun and aluminum is really fun with that.

I'm still a believer that you usually get what you pay for. Be it Warn versus Badlands, Vulcan versus Lincoln or Miller (Hobart).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks