• Comercial Solvent

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Gasoline!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
What Parts Cleaner Solvent?
It is great that guy posted what happened to him as a public service to others. But the way he was so flipped about his symptoms, especially after he said he researched the poisions was so incredibly stupid and ignorant it defies reason. He is a top candidate for a "darwin award".

I agree welding areas should be well ventilated, but there are times and places where this is not possible. As a professional welder many times I have had to weld in confined spaces wearing a supplied air respirator. Granted I do not think this was the case in the article. I take issue with the idiocy he showed by not seeking medical attention in a timely manner. Even after he was well aware of the poisons he was exposed to and their effects such as experiencing seizures, paralysis, trouble breathing, etc. he still didn't seek medical attention until it was way too late to do anything about them.
Just goes to show with all of the advances of modern man, you still can't fix stupid.

Kerosene guy myself, cuts the grease and seems to clean up easier than most

water based cleaners just do not work that well in a little shop parts tank. anyone ever hear oil and water dont mix? duh. it stands to reason that a petrolium product would clean better.
what i use isnt even on the list, went to the local transmission shop and got 10 gals of used auto trans fluid (FREE), works like a champ so far (not sure of long term effects on the pump yet) common sense dictates that you do a little pre cleaning/scraping gunk off parts before cleaning in a tank.
and and by the way fire extinguishers should be standard equipment in all areas of a shop.
fwiw- ive seen fires in garages, caused one myself using gasoline, if you insist on using it to clean parts after youve been warned, well in my opinion you are one of those that has previously been pointed out as not able to be fixed.
regards
Rick

I have a Mineral spirits PW with 150 flash and an aqueous pw with proper church and dwight chemistry. I prefer the aqueous. As the post above says, wate rand oil dont mix...and that is a good thing. Solvent will clean better in the short term, but once the grease and oil molecules mix or emulsify with the petroleum naptha, you are just cleaning with dirt solvent. Unless you uchange your solution on a very quick and regular basis the aqueous chemistry will work better long term. The oil floats on top of the water, so as long as your pump is below the oil layer, you are always cleaning with clean chemistry.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom