What is this ticking noise? Help needed please!

What is this ticking noise? Help needed please!

Smithman6

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84, CJ7, 258, Monstaliner Predator Green
Hi, as always this forum is brilliant. But the other day after a drive out, the jeep started ticking. Brought it home, as you let off acceleration the rhythm doubles. Any help would be massively appreciated. Iv watched some videos on failed lifters. Tried taking the case off and having a look but can't see anything obvious. Any ideas? Link to video below:
https://youtu.be/CU2a3YMjt7g

The video really helped and it seems you have found its location. It does sound like a lifter could use some cleaning out. This issue is not uncommon with the 258 either. You could try an engine oil additive and/or a good detergent oil and change it more often than you usually do to get things going.

Pull the v'cover and ck the p'rods for lenght.:notworthy:
How many miles on this engine? What weight oil?
LG

Just done an oil change, no idea when it was done last. Came without the odometer connected so best guess is what it has on it now, plus the 50 or so miles iv put on it. I have now got the odometer working. Odometer reads 213579. Dunno how much I trust that! Using 10W40. Thanks again for the help. Was thinking of replacing the lifters. Got the valve cover off now, can't see anything obvious but haven't removed rocker arms yet.

Lifter noise with high mileage 258 is common.:eek::D
Go get a V8 size can of Restore(shake the :dung: out of it before you add it) and add to a warmed engine.
Bet in about 200 miles of driving, that noise is gone.
Yes-I use it also.:notworthy:
If your winter temps aren't much below 30*. Next oil change think about 15W40 or what I use which is 20W50 Castrol.;)
LG

Adding that can of Restore is a good idea. Since you are not sure when the last time the oil was changed, you could change it again after say 1k to 2k miles or 1 to 2 months. Add another can of Restore if you can still hear the lifters. Keeping maintaince records is good also.

I'm in NW Florida so it very rarely gets to that temp. Il try that and see if it works out. Should I change lifters?

Leave the lifters be for now.
Try the Restore.
The 258 doesn't mind a bit of overfill in the c'case.
I would go to 20w50 and new filter at the next oil change.
Start keeping a full log book on the Jeep. Include PN's, date and mileage.
LG

Looking forward to the updates.
:chug:
LG

Well, after putting the valve cover back on (had a leak at the back where it hadn't sealed), it's definitely on now. I put V8 restore into it and ran it in the garage. To be honest I didn't believe it would work so went out for a drive. After three gear changes the banging was gone. Thanks so much for the help! It's greatly appreciated!

Glad it worked out.:notworthy:
I have used it for many years in mine.

OLG

I prefer to use Brad Penn (not a mistake) 20-50 racing oil in my old CJ. This oil is formulated in the old way that older engines appreciate. Racing oil is supposed to be used in "race" engines and is technically not legal for street use, it's not about the oil, it's about the EPA. I figure, let'em prove that the oil in my engine isn't Street legal" ...... Valvoline also has an easier to fine line of "Racing" oil. I've used it and like it well enough, but like the finger in their eye use of Brad Penn Racing Oil.

Last edited:
HH-I have never seen any document say'n race oil is illegal on the street. Do you have a link? Is it a state for federal law? Like you said-How would anydangbody know anyways?
I really don't think it is true. All 'race oil' does for the most part, is to remove the 'detergent' of std motor oil.
Do you find the Brad Penn local, or have to have it ship'd to you?
LG

I prefer to use Brad Penn (not a mistake) 20-50 racing oil in my old CJ. This oil is formulated in the old way that older engines appreciate. Racing oil is supposed to be used in "race" engines and is technically not legal for street use, it's not about the oil, it's about the EPA. I figure, let'em prove that the oil in my engine isn't Street legal" ...... Valvoline also has an easier to fine line of "Racing" oil. I've used it and like it well enough, but like the finger in their eye use of Brad Penn Racing Oil.

The owner at the shop where I got my engine machine work done told me also to stay away from the new modern conventional oils. I did some reading up and that's what I will do. I will use the special break in oil then on to what he recommended. It may have been Joe Gibbs Racing if I'm not mistaken. I will get back with him when it's time. HH you are right about going with that oil. :chug:

Lumpy - Several sources have said the very same thing,

1: The can says for "Off Road" or racing applications only.

2: The Hot Rod shop I buy Brad Penn oil from said the same thing. IE, Don's Hot Rod employee, "You are only going to use this in a racing engine right." Wink wink.... Me, "Yes sir only in my racing engines."

3: Rob at Willys Works said the very same thing while recommending Brad Penn oil.

This oil is sold at my local Hot Rod Shop, "Don's Hot Rod". It is a little more expensive than the similar Valvoline "Racing Oil" that has the same type of "EPA says don't let us catch you on the street with this oil in your car" warning on the can. Evidently it's similar to the sulfur regulations on Diesel fuel. Good for older engines, BAD for the environment.

Lumpy - Several sources have said the very same thing,

1: The can says for "Off Road" or racing applications only.

2: The Hot Rod shop I buy Brad Penn oil from said the same thing. IE, Don's Hot Rod employee, "You are only going to use this in a racing engine right." Wink wink.... Me, "Yes sir only in my racing engines."

3: Rob at Willys Works said the very same thing while recommending Brad Penn oil.

This oil is sold at my local Hot Rod Shop, "Don's Hot Rod". It is a little more expensive than the similar Valvoline "Racing Oil" that has the same type of "EPA says don't let us catch you on the street with this oil in your car" warning on the can. Evidently it's similar to the sulfur regulations on Diesel fuel. Good for older engines, BAD for the environment.

i wonder if its more like off road diesel they say its for off road use only b/c it lacks road taxs for the "govement". ive bought the off road diesel its the same fuel only cheaper due to lack of taxs on it but they dye it pink so they can easily identify it as off road use only

What I have found, is that 'racing oil' is very high in ZDDP(Zinc)which is a lubricant, and that high amount of ZDDP can damage the 'cat'.
So my SWAG is, if you don't have a 'cat'. You're GTG.
Some interesting reading here....
Racing Oil vs. Street Oil: Know the Differences - EngineLabs

FWIW: Just got back from Walmart. They had Valvoline racing oil on the self.
I didn't see anything on the bottle that said it could not be used in a 'street' car.
OLG

I've got a bottle of the stuff laying around, I might be wrong, but remember reading the bottle and thought I saw it was not for street use and a lot of other words along that line. I do wonder though. If your engine doesn't burn oil, will it hurt a Cat? I can see it being a problem if oil gets into the exhaust as in burning or I suppose belching oil out. I imagine if an engine is that bad other problems would make driving on the street impractical.

:) No matter what, I heard illegal for the street and I'm stickin' to it. :)

7c1eca537b2d19c36ec82c9dc693405e.jpg

3-4 hour job. Lifters are cheap and if you let them sit too long you can screw up your cam. Soak them in zinc/oil for a day, install the next and never worry about them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks