Engine What diesel engine is best for a CJ?

Engine What diesel engine is best for a CJ?

kens28

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
None
Ok,
So, anybody ever try an engine from an IVECO? How about a Mercedes engine? Didn't the ford ranger come with a Diesel at one time? Powerstroke? Maybe a 4cyl diesel from an old tractor? Anybody tried this out? Could always use a tried and true 6.2 Chevy? 6.9 Ford? Detroit Diesel from an old payloader(hahahaha)?
Whats the general thoughts on putting a diesel in a CJ? I am thinking this primarily for fuel efficiency, and good low end torque.
I see one person here with a Nissan 6cyl diesel? How's that work? Think it's street drivable? What tranny, and how'd you hook it up?
Thanks all

there are a lot of options for that and there will just as many opinions. i would suggest something mechanical injected for simplicity. as for your question i haven't put on in a CJ but I did put one in a yj.

we went with the 6.2 out of a 86 hummer because it was cheap low hour and mechanical. secondly because it's dimensionally the as a small block chevy so a small block chevy conversion kit will work and save you a lot of time and money figuring out mounting and placement.

for more power an intake and turbo off a 6.5 will bolt right up no problem. for a tranny we used the sm465 and transfer case we went with the np205. you will need to upgrade your axles as they will not hold up. we used Dana 44 out of a grand wagoneer but really should have gone bigger. dont forget to upgrade ur springs they wont hold the weight of the diesel.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Cummins 4BT is popular

You got me drooling!

A few around here are using VW diesels.

yes

I just picked up a 2.0L VW TDI that I plan on dropping into an 83 Scrambler. Once I get it pulled from the donor I hope to spend the winter tackling the wiring harness.

id stay away from anything VW they are a complete pia and very finicky. id go with something simple and mechanical 4 bt would be the easiest and cheapest

what like this one09e3557352ce95f1bb98c03c5fa6a8f0.jpga0a6462d1212d0e584962d90d0150209.jpg748dcc7ef73c0d8694f6e41ca7fc7afe.jpg609eac45eff927c300bee37e87960f5c.jpg

Man, that looks totally cool! I'll let my buddy take a look at this. We'll work on his new '89 CJ project after we finished installing the brake kit and dually wheels on the current Superduty project and clear the garage. He's looking for some ideas for the CJ.

I would 100% consider a 4BT. You can hot-rod them as much as you want, they take 6 cylinder Cummins parts, and they last forever. If I went German, I'd probably consider 4 cylinder Mercedes, but they don't make any power, and I don't know of anyone building anything for performance.

I've looked into this topic excessively sine I only have four ponies. What I have found is that the 4bt is said to be the nicest swap but will rattle your teeth out. The happiest swap I've seen has been the Mercedes five cylinder swap. There are a couple YouTube videos with folks using four cylinder generators from a refer trailer, a fork lift, or some type of tractor/ construction equipment. I haven't decided what route I'm going to go with just yet. I had a AMC 304 but sold it since it wasn't complete. I have been kicking around the idea of a 440 out of a camper, or a 4.7 stroker engine. I really want a 5.0 EFI out of a Explore but right now I think I'm just going to regear and run my four squirrels until it blows up which maybe never as I have read and heard they last forever.

I gave up on my 4 banger quitting after lasting for 36 great years. Still ran great. Took it out last May. Mercedes sounds interesting.

I gave up on my 4 banger quitting after lasting for 36 great years. Still ran great. Took it out last May. Mercedes sounds interesting.
What did you drop in it anything?

Still on the stand. Completely rebuilt drivetrain. 258 with a Sniper and MSD box and distributor. Had a T4 and now rebuilt T176. Rebuilt my D300 with Lomax 4 to 1 gears twin sticked. HD tie rod and drag link flipped to the top. New steering shaft. New gas tank and in tank pump went in today. Other miner work and maintenance also. An ongoing project and hobby

A Cummins 4BT for my CJ7 conversion.

Reliable, easy 1-wire hookup, available with common SAE to various popular transmissions and very easy to get parts for just about anywhere.

RR

A Cummins 4BT for my CJ7 conversion.

Reliable, easy 1-wire hookup, available with common SAE to various popular transmissions and very easy to get parts for just about anywhere.

RR
6BT is the same just has 2 extra cylinders

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks