What brand gears would you run and why?

What brand gears would you run and why?

coldair

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 in the works,
1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins
Looking at gearing my jeep down what brand gears do you guys recommend and why? I'm looking at a set of yukons right now

I've kinda been looking on and off for awhile myself. Seems like whatever you read there are pros and cons on everything if you look hard enough. That and whether or not they are made in the USA or chinee or somewhere else. I will be following this thread to see what other have installed or found out

Richmond gears because they are American made and I haven't heard many complain about quality issues, I also run nothing but Timken bearings as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmond gears because they are American made and I haven't heard many complain about quality issues, I also run nothing but Timken bearings as well

I won't install anything but Timken bearings. I've heard good things about Richmond gears I'm going threw morris4x4 for the gears they don't offer Richmond.

Looking at gearing my jeep down what brand gears do you guys recommend and why? I'm looking at a set of yukons right now
If your thinking of yukons I would suggest US gear.
US gear "is" yukon without the final lapping.
Good size price difference. Both made in a gearing plant in India

US gear did start as a family business in the 60s

Yup I know they advertised with a big old American flag and say their made in the US, but US gear and yukon are made in India.

I run a set of us gear R&P and they have worked for me.

Yup I know they advertised with a big old American flag and say their made in the US, but US gear and yukon are made in India.

Thanks posi I'll have to look into that.

I have Dana/Spicer and Timken bearings front and rear.:eek:
FWIW: I have found DS to have the best consistency, well above all other brands I have installed.
Contact these folks for great service. ;)
https://www.ringpinion.com/
LG

FWIW: I have found DS to have the best consistency, well above all other brands I have installed.

LG

I like Randy's ring and pinion as well

I looked into D/S a long time ago, that's what I wanted to go with. I don't think they support the M20 rear if I remember correctly. I may be mistaken though

LG

I called them today just shy of $1k for my set of axles. ( ring gear and pinion for front and back also master rebuild kit for both ) I wouldn't mind the warranty they offer for extra $40 if you mess a gear set up they will replace it no questions asked.

Thanks posi I'll have to look into that.
USA Standard gear Randy, Summit, and more sell them. Shop around price difference depending on the seller. Again, their Yukon gears.

Running Yukon with Timkins. Because I over thought it, and Yukons were not the wrong choice. Purchased from drivetrain America and Morris on a price match. Timkins cause I didn't want to replace them twice. I did my own work. I did the front first to learn on, had them in and out about 20 times to set up the shims correctly. The rear I did in 8 tries. Get the shim kit and the bearing kit as well, and one or two extra sling washers as they are cheap and can hold up the process if you damage the one you have. No gear noises. I have about 200 miles on them now. No leaks, no drips no errors.
BTW, I installed 4.56. Killer perfect for trials, but with 33 inch tires I run 3000 rpm going 60 mph with a 4speed, and 258. That is the top top of the power curve. consider 4.11 or 3.91 if you street drive it and have 33 inch tires.

Last edited:
Running Yukon with Timkins. Because I over thought it, and Yukons were not the wrong choice. Purchased from drivetrain America and Morris on a price match. Timkins cause I didn't want to replace them twice. I did my own work. I did the front first to learn on, had them in and out about 20 times to set up the shims correctly. The rear I did in 8 tries. Get the shim kit and the bearing kit as well, and one or two extra sling washers as they are cheap and can hold up the process if you damage the one you have. No gear noises. I have about 200 miles on them now. No leaks, no drips no errors.
BTW, I installed 4.56. Killer perfect for trials, but with 33 inch tires I run 3000 rpm going 60 mph with a 4speed, and 258. That is the top top of the power curve. consider 4.11 or 3.91 if you street drive it and have 33 inch tires.

I'm thinking 4.27 or 4.88 for gear ratio. I will be installing an AX15 with a high output 4.0 I had 4.88 in my xj that has the AX15 and and 4.88 with 33 inch tires really liked this combo for wheeling I still could go down the road at a good speed.

I run 4:88 w/T5 and very happy with this set up. They are bolted to Detroit Lockers.;)
I too run 33" tires(BFG/AT).
LG

I agree with Posi, I run a set of 4.56 USA's in our 79 CJ7 w/Dana 30, Dana 44 & Elockers, and as Posi can tell you..................I don't drive on eggs with them!:D

Oh-heck yes!
Went from OEM of 3:31, to 4:88 takes a lot of torque load off the tranny as does my 4:1 t'case.
That said-I do have a spare T5 I rebuild many years ago, ready to go in just in case.
LG

Ordered my gears the other day. Ordered a set of Dana spicer ring and pinion for the rear. Set of motive for the front both will have Timkin install kits.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks