Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Eng: I6 one-barrel 258 cu in (4.2 L)
Trans: T18
T-case: D20
Axles: D30 (F), D44 (R)
Anyone out there have any idea what tool, specifically, I need to unscrew this axle “bolt”? (See photo.) The tools called out in the service manual don’t seem to be the correct ones. Maybe I’ve got a non-stock axle? It seems like there should definitely be something out there for this...I just don’t know what to search for.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2EA2D0AA-6E16-44F1-8D84-E0D55B1E59D9.jpg
    2EA2D0AA-6E16-44F1-8D84-E0D55B1E59D9.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 103
Is that a full floating rear axle?

Can you post a picture that more clearly shows this nut?
Also-PLZ post a picture of the axles diff cover so we can ID the axle.
LG

Here are some better photos.

I don’t believe this is a full floating axle.

The number on that right tag looks like:
47 11 4 27
Thanks again.

Attachments

• AEF04590-C53B-49C1-975D-E38B55AA745A.jpg
    AEF04590-C53B-49C1-975D-E38B55AA745A.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20D9742B-2BC4-4B6E-9A92-B551B81B7500.jpg
    20D9742B-2BC4-4B6E-9A92-B551B81B7500.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 80
  • B839F34F-820B-4786-A97B-D2EAB3A5EB53.jpg
    B839F34F-820B-4786-A97B-D2EAB3A5EB53.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 81
  • C9B7569F-3C8C-41FE-B139-A4F916CEADA0.jpg
    C9B7569F-3C8C-41FE-B139-A4F916CEADA0.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 24
  • CB412B8D-D66B-44EE-8A15-B8D93533B725.jpg
    CB412B8D-D66B-44EE-8A15-B8D93533B725.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 53
Ahhhhh, better pictures make it obvious it's not a floating axle. At first I thought the dark center was a hole rather than the simple end of your axle shaft. You have a Dana 44. No super special tool is required. You can use an slide hammer, You can borrow one from Autozone. Or take your brake drum turn it backwards lightly set the lug nuts and use the drum as you would a slide hammer. All you are doing is unseating the bearings and pulling the axles from the differential. There are no axle clips or retainers in the differential.

??? Cell phones and their upside down pictures. Sometimes having pictures oriented with the floor down at the bottom can make a difference.

Confirm you have removed the 4 bolts behind the hub.
Just wrap a chain around the hub, and jerk it out.
LG

Thanks LG & Hedgehog. :chug:

I'll be giving this a shot when I get home this evening. I was stuck thinking that the entire painted center-piece had to be rotated.

Confirm you have removed the 4 bolts behind the hub.
LG

I haven't removed the bolts yet, though it looks like there are actually 6. I'll double check.

I have a slide hammer I'll put to the task when I get those bolts out.

Will post the follow up.

Thanks.

My mistake, since you already stripped the brake components I thought you had stripped the bolts as well. Folks like Lumpy have done it so often removing the bolts becomes automatic with no thought. .... Yes, there are 6 bolts, two are at the way top and easy to miss.

Okay gents,

I got the axle out.

Now, any tricks of the trade for getting that bearing off? (I’ll try posting pictures again tomorrow morning, they don’t seem to want to upload tonight.)

Also, the new one I picked up doesn’t have open races like the old one. Is that a problem?

Thanks again.

I don't know how it is done, but new bearings are one unit race/bearing. When they are used and run the race disconnects from the bearing. It's supposed to do that. The old race is tight but loose and can be removed relatively easily. Removing the bearing from the axle is a different matter. They should be pressed off .... Or .... do as I do, cheat. Carefully cut the big metal ring and bearing off with an angle grinder cutoff wheel. You don't need to cut all the way through the center race. Score it deeply on two sides, they are brittle and pop it off with a chisel. Setting the new seal, bearing and steel ring is another story. To do it right you will need a press .... or drive it on with a pipe and BIG hammer. I recommend finding someone with a press.

Another method:
Using a 3/8" drill bit, drill half way into the bearing lock ring from the side.
Don't drill all the way thru and into the axle shaft.
Usually half way is enough.
Then take a large flat blade chisel and big hammer and strike once on each side of the hole.
This will split the lock ring and it will easily remove by hand.

However you remove the lock rings, discard them as they are not re-usable.

:agree:

Bit 'caveman' but I have done it many times this way.
Use a section of pipe to seat the new bearings.
Take pictures of the bearings as the are now installed, to be sure you get it 'rite'.
LG

Thanks gents. I like the caveman approach. :D

Here's the photo of the axle, flange, and bearing, as well as the new bearing (as promised earlier). Also snapped one with the outer bearing still pressed into the axle housing.

Thanks for all your help with this everyone. Glad to have a community like this.

cjTango

:chug:

Attachments

• IMG_9906.jpg
    IMG_9906.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 47
  • rear axle - 1.jpg
    rear axle - 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
Seat the bearing first, and then the collar.
LG

Make sure to replace the outer seal too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks