What are these Filters for?

What are these Filters for?

jbaker4341

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7
Can anyone tell me what these 2 supposedly oil filters are? There is a Black hose right behind the transfer case and drive shaft that runs straight to the engine bay. At the end of the hose there are 2 filters. On top of the 2nd filter the line is capped. What is are the two filters for and what exactly is the purpose of this line?

Attachments

• C6C23ED6-78CF-4309-A732-8255CF20F9C9.jpg
    C6C23ED6-78CF-4309-A732-8255CF20F9C9.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 8876BEAD-5A3B-478A-BEAE-B10E0177B740.jpg
    8876BEAD-5A3B-478A-BEAE-B10E0177B740.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
They look more like fuel filters. But it looks like someone decided they needed to 'filter' the air going into the transfer case? I have a breather tube on my front differential, but I don't recall one going to the transfer case.

Its the breather tube for the T-case. No idea what or why the filters are for, they are not needed.

Just an idea but maybe the previous owner drove in very dusty conditions and thought this may be a way to keep the dust out.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

That "cap" at the end looks just like the cap on the breather line of my front diff.

diffidently breather for the transfer case filters arent needed. though i ran all mine (t-case and axles) to a zip lock Tupperware attached to my fire wall to keep water out after unfortunate river crossing.

just look at my avatar for what i mean.

Here in the southwest sand and grit is your worst enemy, you do what you can to keep it out. I have used gas filters for breathers before, now a days K&N and afew others make filters just for vent lines.
Maybe your jeep spent time in the southwest.
Those little stock vent caps can lose the top cover and then it would be and open line.

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. I’m up in Indiana so no dusty conditions here. I’m going to replace those nasty looking filters with a cool looking K&N vent filter.

K&N don't filter much.
Those fuel filters are far better.......
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks