Welding, an intro

Welding, an intro

BajaEdition

Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up
70 cj6 4 inch lift
Welding basics
Before welding

Here are a few things I want to discuss about welding
I have a lot of guys ask about it so I will write a few articles because everyone dealing with old 4x4 vehicles needs to know about welding. A basic knowledge and a basic amount of skill can take you a long way and save a lot of money.

So here goes, before welding we need to know basically what welding is and the types of welding we will use.
Home welding is basically divided into 2 groups, electric and gas. A gas rig is nice because you get a cutting torch that comes in so handy but most guys are going to want to get a wire feed welder first. Stick (or arc) is something we will discuss later. I will do a article about each type of common home welding.
But first a short bit about wire feed and why we will start with it.
Wire feed, either mig or flux core is one of the easiest and cost effective forms of welding there are. A good setup will be able to handle the most welding applications you come across. So we are going to assume that these articles are written toward that form of welding.
Here goes.
Before welding, we need to set up a few practices for safety and health.
What to wear. Welding has a few nasty habits and those are the stuff it puts off, light, fumes, splatter, all are harmful so here are a few items that are must haves. First is a good helmet, I prefer a self darkening one and they are getting very cheap now. For around 125 to 175 you can get a nice dependable quality setup, the higher end will have more adjustments, I like to be able to adjust both the shade and the speed it darkens. For under a hundred a flip up style helmet is good, but with this style you will need to learn to flip and strike at the same time, spend a few bucks for a good self darkening setup and save the money you spent on the first helmet when you upgrade.
2 things that we are protecting our eyes from is both the extreme brightness of the weld and the UV put off, these should factor into why leather sleeves are so important, OK leather gloves are a must, and not cheap ones, get a set of welders gloves with leather palms and backs. The heat you save yourself from will pay off. Next get a set of leather sleeves, these are cheap, around 18 bucks and they will save you from both burns and the likelihood of skin cancer. Now some guys like to get the sleeves on a jacket. I do not for a reason I will state in a minute but let me review jackets here.
Jackets come in a few styles now, full leather, leather sleeve with heavy canvas body, and the newer leather sleeve with high tech material body. Most will have leather sleeves for a reason, it outlast all else and offers a great bit of protection. Consider your environment you will be welding in when buying, you do not want to be welding in 100 degrees with a full leather jacket.
Now I wear leather sleeves and a welders apron, may not look the most stylish but I can pull off the sleeves between welds when doing prep and still have the protection of the apron, oh aprons come in leather and heavy cloth, I use heavy cloth. Where I live it gets above 100 degrees in the summer and I like the fact I can shed those sleeves fast.
Pants, a good set of jeans work, and a good set of leather boots will save your feet from burns, I prefer ones that cover the ankles, nothing like trying to remove a boot fast while throwing off welding gear because a spark decided to find it’s way down a short set of boots.

Now those are basic, and besides stuff you should already own should cost between 150 and 200 dollars to get new. Go around a few garage sales or a swap meet and you can pick them up for around 50 bucks.
Here are some things that make it nice and really should be used by all.
Ear plugs to save the hearing, around a buck a set.
A welders hat, can be got for 10 bucks and will save that haircut one day, sparks can fly at times.
A welder’s respirator, disposables are around 8 to 10 dollars and they save you from the fumes created while welding.
Get all that and we are off to our shop safety write up.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom