weldernator

weldernator

ramotough

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ 7
Well This is my first post on here. I was wondering people's opinions on it since the only ones I could find were from like 2005. I recently looked up on it and it seems pretty simple and inexpensive for cheap guy. I know its not a top notch brand but still works for emergency cases. I recently went junk yard diving and found a 100amp delco remy alt off an old cadillac and hope to start the build next week. any opinions on it or previous experiences will help out alot.

Last edited:
I have just recently been looking at these myself, and wondering why everyone does not have one. Just for kicks I ran a 63 amp delco 10si off of a hf 6.5 hp engine to see how well it worked before I put one on the jeep. It works sweet, burns 1/8" 6011 very well when it's revved up. Modifying the older delcos is really simple.

I picked up a newer cs144 alternator (140amp) for the jeep install. On the newer ones you have to upgrade the rectifier to hold up to the higher voltage. I bought it on eBay for around $50, non-avalanche style. I wanted this alternator because they produce a lot of power at low rpm.

I did try the bigger alternator on the 6.5hp but it did not have near enough power. My tj does not have ac so I will probably mount it in that location with a longer serpentine belt. The smaller delco might go on the 3a.

Finally someone who has dabbled with it. Yeah I believe I pulled the alt off a 97 el Eldorado. I'm going to make the brackets this weekend and wire it up. I'm running a 79 Chevy 350 which I've only seen these weldernators on early jeeps or yotas so I'm wondering how it's gonna run. I'll post some pics when I start.

Welding cable is always pricey, just to start off for testing I was thing jumper cables and eventually upgrade to all the good stuff?

The Eldorado alternator will definitely need the rectifier upgrade, the stock one will burn out around 30 volts. Ebay or alternatorparts.com has them.

I started with some jumper cable ends, but they do not hold the electrode very well and required removing some of the flux at the clamp end. I had some long 4 gauge battery cables around so I picked up a cheap stinger and ground clamp and that works much better. I also installed some quick connects for polarity reversal if needed for specialty electrodes.

Actual welding cable would be nice eventually for the better insulation and flexibility.

Keep in mind that you can get 110 volts plus if you rev the engine faster.
It will run drills, grinders and motors that use brushes. Keep in mind that it will also shock you on your fanny if you get careless. :chug:

First off, sorry this is not on a cj, it still seemed relevant to the topic. I just got the weldernator hooked up on my Tj. I ended up mounting it where the ac compressor would have been (mine did not have it.) A factory ac belt was the perfect length.

I used a cs144 alternator. It cost $5 from a junkyards scrap pile but the upgraded rectifier cost $50. not sure on amperage probably somewhere between 120 and 160 amps.

I ran 4 gauge battery cables from the alternator to the front of the jeep terminated with quick connects. made up some 15' leads with some old 4 gauge welding cable that plug into the quick connects.

still have to install hand throttle and the switch on the stinger for ease of use and alternator cooling.

tried it with some 3/32 7018, at around 1500 rpm, welded smooth and easy. showed good color all the way through 5/16 plate.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks