WARR-WAGON/ tow rig (Many pics - dialup beware)

WARR-WAGON/ tow rig (Many pics - dialup beware)

warrpath4x4

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1965 CJ6 tux, 1987 XJ, 1980 powerwagon W200
(from the beginning)

ok so i been gone for quite a while so here is my new contribution.
i bought this (or am buying) from an old co-worker. its a 1980 dodge W200 4x4, the last of the powerwagons. 360 (runs) 4speed 205 transfercase, HD44 front, 60 rear, warn 8274 winch, it used to be a DOT truck.

plans:
crate motor
lift
rear winch
tool box
lights
dual batteries
new seat
inner airlock double beadlocks
OBA (york)

onto the pics:

when i brought it home

029.jpg

0012.jpg

002.jpg

008.jpg

0023.jpg

0013.jpg

put a set of 35"s on the rear but they wouldnt mount up on the front cause they are 15" rims and it takes 16" rims to clear the calipers. but this can be worked around.

0033.jpg

old skool outside temp guage

0062.jpg

the PO told me there was some rust in the driver side floor board but he took care of the rust and fiberglassed it. yah his fiber glass was a piece of plastic shower wall screwed down.

IMG00010.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

so i fixed it the other night

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

the seat belts were broke so i threw in some spares till i get the new seat

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

i thought about putting a set of these in since i have them but they arent the easiest to ride in all the way to the coast.

0053.jpg

id like to put something like this in, 40/20/40 with flip down center console and built in seat belts.

200420Ford20F-1502040-20-4020Neo20C.jpg

yesterday i started on the rear bumper, but i have a cold so i only worked for like 10 minutes.

0014.jpg

0024.jpg

0034.jpg

my rats nest of a wiring mess to straighten out.

0043.jpg

NOTE: Edited thread title for our dial-up members. - CJ

ok got the truck into the shop this afternoon. pulled the hood, grill, and pipes off the bumper and my camera batteries died. then i painted the grill, pulled the radiator reservoir, fan shroud and drained the radiator. when i pulled the pipes off the bumper there was rust and :dung: behind them, luckily only surface rust.

0015.jpg

0025.jpg

did some more work on the truck today, pulled the radiator, winch, fenders. my damn camera runs through batteries like crazy so i ended up using my camera phone.

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00040.jpg

apparently they used this spot for storage lol

IMG00041.jpg

IMG00042.jpg

got the wiring labeled out and took pics of where things are connected, unbolted the exhaust manifolds and its a good thing i am getting a crate motor cause when i broke loose the manifold water poured out of the no 7 cylinder. finished pulling the inner fender on the drivers side and just getting things ready.

the grill painted (needs another coat)

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

014.jpg

friday the old man came out and helped me pull the core support and the engine.

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

then sunday i helped put a leveling kit on another guys newer ford, and yesterday was my first day at my new job. hopefully today i can drag my butt to the shop for a bit but its cold outside lol.
an expensive day, i ordered ALOT for the powerwagon.

crate motor
6AL MSD ignition
headers
edelbrock intake
edlebrock carb
3 core radiator
power steering pump
upper/lower rad hoses
thermostat
100 amp alt
white face gauges (speedo, volt, water, oil pressure, 5" tach)
spark plugs
new starter
water pump
motor mounts
dist cap
rotor
plug wires
which all ran me $3268 with about $300 in core deposits.

i picked up my parts, took some pics of some of the goodies but my camera batteries died so they re recharging right now.

oh yah

001-2.jpg

thats sexy right there (with rev limiter)

002-2.jpg

color changing

003-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

they had just got freight in when i was there so i couldnt get my engine (it was blocked in). so i went back in the afternoon and got it and my new 3 core radiator. now the fun will begin. i will have to get a comparison picture of the 60 amp alt. and the 100 amp alt, lol its almost comical lol.
heres is a pic of the stock alt compared to the 100 amp alt.

001-3.jpg

spent today building a new welding cart to hold the welder and my new plasma. :wings:

004-1.jpg

carts still not done yet, i was test fitting everything

new engine still wrapped up till i get the sheetmetal all cleaned up and ready to put on.

015.jpg

here you can see how flat the old springs were

004-1.jpg

and with the helper spring

013.jpg

not sure why all these holes were drilled in the frame but i am going to weld them up

012-1.jpg

got my BFG's mounted on a different set of wheels with less back spacing, mounted them on the truck and without the engine in its almost level on the bed.

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-3.jpg

got the old heater core out, didnt come out as simple as i had planned, im going to weld in a piece of sheetmetal to fill the hole. then i have a summit brand mojeve heater to mount inside.

007-2.jpg

it sits at 23 3/4" t the pinch seam.

went out today for a few hours after i got off work, doesnt really feel like i did much cause i kinda just bounced around. i pulled the motor mounts off the cross member, the driver side was fun. painted some of the front frame section. pulled the front diff cover and cleaned it up and painted it, inside the diff didnt look bad, a ittle bit of metal grind in there but no chunks or anything like that and the fluid looked fairly new. also started to sand the hood down, i dont know about anyone else but MOPAR to me just screams blacked out hood ;D

thats a 2 foot pipe wrench and a 3 foot pipe on my half inch drive

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

installed the front diff cover today

004-6.jpg

005-4.jpg

found the diff tag on the rear when i pulled the diff cover. the fluid in the front axle wasnt too bad but the rear diff must have been the red headed stepchild, 3.54 gears (not what id hoped for but oh well)

001-4.jpg

and the first coat of semi gloss on the hood

007-3.jpg

kinda splurged a little this morning. i tried to clean up the valve cover but there is so much :dung: baked onto the inside and i couldnt get it all out of there and i didnt want to chance any of it getting into the new motor so here we go

Fabricated Small Block Mopar Aluminum Valve Covers

396f_1_sbl.jpg

These are a fully TIG welded aluminum cover. Thick 1/4" billet rail. 1 1/4" baffled breather holes. 3.5" tall. Includes bolts.

in between the coats of herculiner i put on the floor boards of my XJ i painted the engine with high heat 500 degree paint. i prefer the color of grey just because it is easier to see any leaks that arise.

004-7.jpg

so after we put the interior back into the XJ, i cut out my first piece with my plasma cutter

005-5.jpg

but i didnt make some of my corners right and i cought my hose on my clamp and took a bigger slice out of one spot, plus i decided i wanted the diamond tread on the inside of the engine bay so i cut a ew piece. it turned out alot better, here it is fitting in place.

006-2.jpg

half way welded in and with the two holes drilled in it for the hose fittings for the new heater

007-4.jpg

fully welded, then after this picture i finished welding the old mounting holes but dont have a pic of that yet.

008-2.jpg

instead of using a rubber grommet and just pushing the heater hose through the firewall i came up with this. just a coupler and two barbed fittings that will smash the firewall between the big washers.

003-5.jpg

and here is the piece i am going to use for my new dash (rough cut of course)

005-6.jpg

other than that it was a day to clean the shop after i got off work.

did lots of little things today, or atleast it felt like little things. bolted on the flywheel, clutch, harmonic balancer, mouts for the motor mounts and the motor mounts, then dropped the motor in but we had to clearence the bellhousing. you could see where the flywheel made marks inside the bellhousing when we took it out and it would not fit back in. then i we put the valve covers on but only sealed the passenger side since i still ned to mess with TDC on the drivers side, and put in the thermostat and housing.

002-5.jpg

004-11.jpg

008-3.jpg

we pulled the tub off of my dads jeep yesterday so he brought it out today so i can cut out the rust and weld in new metal.

when i went to put the distributor in i realized that i needed the intermediate oil pump shaft from my old motor (which was gone by now) so i had to buy a new one. got that put in and set to the number 1 plug wire, and got the distributor in. thats where im sitting now, havnt done much lately.

but the rear diff must have been the red headed stepchild, 3.54 gears (not what id hoped for but oh well)

Um.... first, I hope you are having fun building all these rides.

2nd... can you re-word that phrase 'red headed stepchild.' I dont like it. Thank you ;)

I love those old Power Wagons ! Keep up the good work !!

today seemed like one step forward and two steps back. put the headers on to find out i couldnt get the starter on. one of the carb studs had messed up threads so i bought new ones only to get back to the shop and see they are too long. unhooked the power steering pump to put the new one on and broke the high pressure line.

i ended up just taking the headers back and cleaning and installing the stock manifolds. painted them with high temp exhaust paint, yah it probably will just burn off but it looks nice now lol.

my paint booth lol

001-5.jpg

cleaned up

002-6.jpg

painted

004-12.jpg

005-9.jpg

007-5.jpg

used some aircraft paint stripper on the stock air cleaner housing, this stuff really takes the paint off.

003-9.jpg

To get the high temp paint to survive, do this.
When you first fire the engine, run it until the manifolds start smoking. Then shut the engine off and let it cool. Repeat until the manifolds don't smoke any more. That cures the paint to handle the hi temps better. Worked on 3 sets of headers I've installed now...

To get the high temp paint to survive, do this.
When you first fire the engine, run it until the manifolds start smoking. Then shut the engine off and let it cool. Repeat until the manifolds don't smoke any more. That cures the paint to handle the hi temps better. Worked on 3 sets of headers I've installed now...

thanks for the tip

Hay looks like you are having fun with this build.:D :chug: Lived in Portland most of my life, were are you located?

Hey Warrpath, Another NW'er here. Lived in WA most of my younger life, moved to Ok about 18 months ago for work. Been thru Hermiston many, many times! Small world, eh?

I went there every summer to pick up watermelon:drool:. I think that they are the best in the world. I havent had any in quite a while. Had some friends that live there also for a while.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks