Wagoneer?

Wagoneer?

jzak

Old Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5/258 4.2L I6, Tremec T-176 4-speed, Dana 300, Power Steering, Howell Throttle Body Injection System, Warn Locking Hubs, Warn Rock Crawler front/rear bumper with Tire Swing Carrier, Full Roll Cage, Pro Comp ES9000 shocks
Hey Guy,

I know this is not exactly a CJ topic, but I figured maybe some of you may have experience in other jeeps. So I always thought about maybe buying an old Grand Wagoneer, but with the value skyrocketing I figured i was priced out of the market. A couple days ago, I found this craigslist ad for an 87 Grand Wagoneer for $3,200. Its definitely rough around the edges, but its running, no serious rust, and all the windows and electronics work.
Any thoughts? Is it a good price? Are there any massive mechanical issues with Grand Wagoneers that would bankrupt me?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 00f0f_jF7hKzzVmWs_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_jF7hKzzVmWs_1200x900.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 41
lol its a jeep it will bankrubt you one way or another. I like waggys and have fond memories of them growing up. you should get it.

lol its a jeep it will bankrubt you one way or another. I like waggys and have fond memories of them growing up. you should get it.

:D Very True! Thanks for the feedback!

So, I did, but I was looking for a parts rig, I found out about the only thing I can use is the rear diff, I was hoping for more, the front difis a closed axle, I don't want that, I wanted a th400 trans, seems that the one in the 73 is different from the other's, so it was a bad buy for me in regards to using it for a parts rig, now I have to decide if it's worth it to keep it for just the 1 44 rear axle or sell it to someone that wants to do a restore, it has all the stock equipment on it, including the closed front axle, the th400 that I was hoping to use is the wrong one that I need, it was a bad buy for my needs, now I am at an impasse, do I sell it or restore it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow it has a closed knuckle 44 up to 73 that’s crazy, if it’s running I think it’s better to sell it whole or restore it and find one that’s not running for parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought they were pretty cool. If possible fix and save it.

So, I did, but I was looking for a parts rig, I found out about the only thing I can use is the rear diff, I was hoping for more, the front difis a closed axle, I don't want that, I wanted a th400 trans, seems that the one in the 73 is different from the other's, so it was a bad buy for me in regards to using it for a parts rig, now I have to decide if it's worth it to keep it for just the 1 44 rear axle or sell it to someone that wants to do a restore, it has all the stock equipment on it, including the closed front axle, the th400 that I was hoping to use is the wrong one that I need, it was a bad buy for my needs, now I am at an impasse, do I sell it or restore it.

What were you hoping to do with the transmission? Does it have the Dana 20 or Quadratrac tcase?

Wow it has a closed knuckle 44 up to 73 that’s crazy, if it’s running I think it’s better to sell it whole or restore it and find one that’s not running for parts

It's should a be closed knuckle Dana 30 on a 73.

What were you hoping to do with the transmission? Does it have the Dana 20 or Quadratrac tcase?

I haven't looked at it close enough, it very well could be a 30 closed knuckle, and it does have the Dana 20.

I need to go get a pick of that axle and post it, I will here in a bit.

From what I have read, 73 was the last year for the waggy 44 closed knuckle

From what I have read, 73 was the last year for the waggy 44 closed knuckle
Here it is
578aa344add7cb3cd41a11cafda05db0.jpg
3dcff73c0d803d32bca3dcefa5034ab3.jpg
93cbe67585c0014fe295610650156b18.jpg
cf599993699e6806a14c32abe5f92cb6.jpg
1b7b30201de99310c80600c72acbccc9.jpg
db6be69abe0dbd964ca0f4a3343ca435.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like the front is a Dana 30 closed knuckle to me. And the rear a 44.

Fairly sure its a Dana 20, I was hoping to use the TH400 in my CJ7, but I was told its different that the GM, AMC and BO th400 and that it won't work for the CJ, I haven't pursued that yet.

Fairly sure its a Dana 20, I was hoping to use the TH400 in my CJ7, but I was told its different that the GM, AMC and BO th400 and that it won't work for the CJ, I haven't pursued that yet.

No telling what they did back then but sounds strange since it’s bolted to an amc motor, I wonder if it came with a factory adapter plate

No telling what they did back then but sounds strange since it’s bolted to an amc motor, I wonder if it came with a factory adapter plate

The Novak Guide to the GM TH400 Automatic Transmission

Here is the link on the info, The th400 had a factory adaptor for the Jeeps, Im not sure about why it wouldn't work in the CJ, I was told it has something to do with the overall length after adapting everything, still need to do more research on it.

This is input from another user here on the th400.

"you can mate it to the 304 using the 360 adapter, but you would need the unique 304 flexplate that goes with the crank adapter shown in the picture. AMC V8’s are externally balanced. You could use the 360 that’s coming with the Wagoneer. It will bolt right in where the 304 goes. I honestly don’t know about adapting to the D300 though. These oddball TH400 had long output shafts. It just wouldn’t be worth using if you had to swap shafts in the TH400."

So more research I guess.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks