Vintage Daily Driver

Vintage Daily Driver

Crusher

Jeeper
Thanks
This thread pertains to a daily driver, meaning that your vintage Jeep is your primary vehicle. A lot of folks own a Jeep as a third vehicle that they take to shows or go off road in, however, it is an entirely different atmosphere when you rely on your Jeep to get you from place to place on a daily basis. So I thought this would be a good topic for folks to share their experiences, discus any aspect of the Jeep as it applies to the daily driver, or even get advise from each other to find a solution to a problem.

Interesting. Lets see where it leads. Didn't find an answer to a problem you were having? How about some examples of what you mean. :)

My '80 CJ7 is roads and trails to hunting & fishing spots, but roads in this region of the South aren't a challenge unless you are into slop-splashing mud; I'm not.

So I fix something, and stretch the string a little farther when next I travel. Fix something else, stretch the string another 20 miles.

I have found out (a) watching the tread on 35X12.50's and marking road color from no-contact color is a better indicator of correct tire pressure than chalk or tape. (b) A guy oughta really break down and fix the fuel gage. (c) the stiff [ means RIGID ] rock-climbing suspension has gotta go. I'm pulling the two short leaves off the spring stack to induce a little give. I don't like the rear end flying up in the air over a relatively low highway depression.

My next adventure is a 65 mile run down US Hwy 90 to US 190 and a great fishing spot off Lake Pontchartrain North shore. That stretches the string another 25 miles.

I like Jeeps as a daily driver. It isn't you Grandmother's soft old Land Yacht.

I am new to the site, I had some administrative instruction and was trying to create a new topic, however, I failed to do it right, sorry is there a way this can be deleted and I will start over or something.

If you want to start a new one, just do so :cool: no need to delete this one.

As far as the topic, I love my jeep as a daily driver.

Insurance is cheap, Pre smog, registration relatively cheap too.

Plus I look cool... :D

The big projects, like re-gearing my front diff, leave me hanging without being able to drive while in progress, or when I custom build rear bumper, everything was loose in the back, and didn't want to drive it that way, so that's where I would like a second vehicle (have one now - 79 Ford F-250 runs on propane :D) but will soon be gifting down to my little cousin who's just turned 16.

The vibrating mirrors are a pain in the :censored:... My rear-view mirror will within a min settle back down to it's comfort zone... Which incidentally is not where i can see out of it... The side mirrors vibrate so badly that I can barley see to merge, so i turn and look, look forward look again then merge.

My seat being a little high to see without ducking when soft top is on.

Using an old CJ as a daily driver def has draw backs, but I love it!

:chug:

I don't daily drive my CJ. It's a trail only rig.

But I do drive my 86 J10 pickup a lot. That is, until I'm ready to start the upgrades in a week or two.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks