Vapor roll over valve

Vapor roll over valve

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
My '75 is missing the vapor roll over valve it should have. There were two on later CJ's one was metal the other was larger and plastic made to cut off possible fuel flow to the vapor canister. I need the bigger plastic one, does anyone have any idea where such a critter can be found new or used if need be? Is there a retrofit version?

IIRC someone here said the one from DeLoreans will work, and someone else used one from a Nissan. Have you tried a search?

I had to go back and check to see if I included the word VAPOR in my text, I didn't actually say "liquid" in there once .... wait let me check again .... Yep I never wrote the word liquid. I do understand the confusion though, with two valves generally being present.

IIRC someone here said the one from DeLoreans will work, and someone else used one from a Nissan. Have you tried a search?

So your one of those, "hey lazy sob, do a search" kind of guys. Yes, I've done a Google search and did come up with the DeLorean connection. But the thread was fairly old and IT WAS FOR THE WRONG VALVE. I need the other one, the bigger one, the plastic one, occasionally reading ALL the words in a post is helpful.

Dear lord, please help me stay my aggressive nature to show a kinder gentler internet cowboy. If you can, please bless us for we need to be blessed from time to time.

Besides these boards are mostly informational in nature so it doesn't hurt, except for some guys, to go over questions like this from time to time. Also finding the right words for a Google search can occasionally open doors otherwise shut.

Last edited:
No, not really. I do know what kind of guy you though...

Sorry the "did you do a search" thing struck an old internet nerve. To me it comes off as two edged. The "I'm trying to help" and the "Did you bother to help yourself" edges. I will say that most don't even realize it and are sincere in asking the question. Like I was trying to say, I need to calm the inner internet cowboy in myself. He is a troublesome beast. If you've read most of my posts and still believe your opinion of me then my style and yours will likely clash, I am sorry about that.

Maybe we can get an emoticon that will let the other person know that we're being sincere ;)

Maybe we can get an emoticon that will let the other person know that we're being sincere ;)

I "searched" for one but couldnt find it. :D

There were two on later CJ's one was metal the other was larger and plastic made to cut off possible fuel flow to the vapor canister. I need the bigger plastic one, does anyone have any idea where such a critter can be found new or used if need be?

I had to go back and check to see if I included the word VAPOR in my text, I didn't actually say "liquid" in there once .... wait let me check again .... Yep I never wrote the word liquid. I do understand the confusion though, with two valves generally being present.

The bigger plastic one is the "liquid check valve" on the later CJ's the other small metal one is the "roll over check valve".

The liquid check valve allows the flow of vapor from the tank to the charcoal canister, it has a needle that seats to prevents fuel (liquid) from reaching the charcoal canister as well.

Liquid check valve
NOS $30
Parts

Last edited:
The bigger plastic one is the "liquid check valve" on the later CJ's the other small metal one is the "roll over check valve".

The liquid check valve allows the flow of vapor from the tank to the charcoal canister, it has a needle that seats to prevents fuel (liquid) from reaching the charcoal canister as well.

:)Wow!!..............I'm glad you folks figured that out!

:D:D:D:D

Guys, I'm sorry life got in the way of the posts I did yesterday, I was far too snappy to Hole and others.

Posi - My understanding of the valves is 180 degrees from yours. At this point I don't know if I'm correct or not.

To be fair, you are right both deal with liquid gas, but the one I'm looking for deals with vapor as well. One re-roughs the gas back to the tank, the other stops liquid gas from going to the canister. in '75 the jeep only had one and that one was the larger vapor (related) valve. The exact same valve along with a smaller one was used in later years. From the pictures I've seen the DeLorean valve isn't the one I'm looking for. It replaces the smaller, metal valve found on Jeeps. Am I confused, well yes I am.

I lost all my nerves once I entered the "construction world" . The post actually caught my eye when I saw "vapor" seeing how I have recently put down the chemical enriched cigs and switched to electronic. Never knew, but smoking them is referred to vaping. Anyways other than the fact I havent torn down my cj to the frame like most of you, I will one day, most of my questions are almost always answered by asking Google. Read the previous post and had to chime in regardless if it helps just because humor is contagious. :D:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Trust me, the liquid check valve (LCV) is the one your looking for. As I mentioned it does both, vapor and blocks fuel from entering the charcoal canister. Also you should have only 1 check valve on your 75 it should only be a LCV, the 74 only came with one from the factory and 75 should be the same.

76 and up came with two LCV and roll over valve.

Your 75 should have 2 lines going from the tank to the LCV and one line going from the LCV to the Charcoal canister. This is the big plastic one.

Edit: this may help, look at page 5 in the link below.

http://oljeep.com/gw/74_tsm/4-FuelCarburetion.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, you've (we've) got it. I've rethought my response some, admittedly my thoughts were a little jumbled.

The bigger one is as written, it is there to prevent liquid gas from going to the charcoal canister (vapor).

The other one on newer Jeeps goes to the vent/return (I don't really know what it actually vents) side of the fuel filter. On the event of a roll over it prevents fuel from back feeding from the tank to the filter vent which feeds into the carb.

All in all both valves seem like very good ideas and ultimately harmless to performance. While my Jeep only needs one valve, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get both.

The PO not only removed the valve, he removed the whole plate behind the rear wheel where the valve mounts on. The plate is there to protect the wiring from road damage and somewhat water. Since it seems like a good idea to have the plate, I'm fabricating another one. My Jeep is full of this sort of thing, parts gone for no particular reason. Well, it's 38 years old and stuff happens. All I can hope for is after I leave this world someone doesn't look at what I've done and complain about the PO.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, you've (we've) got it. I've rethought my response some, admittedly my thoughts were a little jumbled.

The bigger one is as written, it is there to prevent liquid gas from going to the charcoal canister (vapor).

The other one on newer Jeeps goes to the vent/return (I don't really know what it actually vents) side of the fuel filter. On the event of a roll over it prevents fuel from back feeding from the tank to the filter vent which feeds into the carb.

All in all both valves seem like very good ideas and ultimately harmless to performance. While my Jeep only needs one valve, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get both.

The PO not only removed the valve, he removed the whole plate behind the rear wheel where the valve mounts on. The plate is there to protect the wiring from road damage and somewhat water. Since it seems like a good idea to have the plate, I'm fabricating another one. My Jeep is full of this sort of thing, parts gone for no particular reason. Well, it's 38 years old and stuff happens. All I can hope for is after I leave this world someone doesn't look at what I've done and complain about the PO.

If you need photos/measurements of the original plate, let me know. I just pulled mine off my '75 this weekend to paint it but haven't gotten around to it yet so its just sitting around the garage right now.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks