Vapor coming from the oil filler tube

Vapor coming from the oil filler tube
O yeah after a few minutes of warming up really good a little smoke from one of the VCs leaking on the header the only real concern was the vapor coming from the filler tube

I wouldn't worry about it then. Since the VC is leaking, might try installing the PCV when you do that gasket and see if that helps.

Just make sure to keep that vented cap on there unless you go to pcv.

Yeah I'll give it a shot I was just looking in the Haynes manual and it looks like it came stock with one anyway ill just have to add it to the to do list I got going I just got it so I'm still in the list making stage

You should have a pcv valve on the rear of the intake, just behind the carb. Look for a rubber line going from the intake to your carb. It should be directly behind the carb.

If the PO put Edelbrock valve covers and an intake on it, I can only assume he changed out the carb for a 4 barrel. I cant imagine him plugging the pcv port on the intake, as well as the large port on the carb used for hooking pcv up to it. Personally I dont think a breather is an adequate substitution for a working pcv.

IF there is a pcv, take it off and shake it--listen for the rattle. Also--you should be able to blow through it in one direction only---hopefully it is the direction flowing TOWARDS the carb...(assuming the PO installed it in the correct direction--you might want to checck that as well)

IF you have a working pcv valve, AND you have significant "smoke" or "steam", I would say there is an issue. You NEED to determine which it is, smoke or steam. Then follow the path to decide what the cause is: blowby = smoke--- water or coolant = steam.

Since you have a leaking valve cover, you should probably change the gaskets. Be observant of what is under the covers. Depending on how old the "new" edelbrock covers are, there may/may not be a lot of sludge built up on them. But I would specifically look for any yellowish slimy oil deposits. That means "water". I'm curious how long ago the intake and valve covers were installed. Any idea?

Last edited:
You should have a pcv valve on the rear of the intake, just behind the carb. Look for a rubber line going from the intake to your carb. It should be directly behind the carb.

If the PO put Edelbrock valve covers and an intake on it, I can only assume he changed out the carb for a 4 barrel. I cant imagine him plugging the pcv port on the intake, as well as the large port on the carb used for hooking pcv up to it. Personally I dont think a breather is an adequate substitution for a working pcv.

IF there is a pcv, take it off and shake it--listen for the rattle. Also--you should be able to blow through it in one direction only---hopefully it is the direction flowing TOWARDS the carb...(assuming the PO installed it in the correct direction--you might want to checck that as well)

IF you have a working pcv valve, AND you have significant "smoke" or "steam", I would say there is an issue. You NEED to determine which it is, smoke or steam. Then follow the path to decide what the cause is: blowby = smoke--- water or coolant = steam.

Since you have a leaking valve cover, you should probably change the gaskets. Be observant of what is under the covers. Depending on how old the "new" edelbrock covers are, there may/may not be a lot of sludge built up on them. But I would specifically look for any yellowish slimy oil deposits. That means "water". I'm curious how long ago the intake and valve covers were installed. Any idea?

Ok so thanks to the army and training I havent even had time to do anything for a few months. I replaced the VC gaskets no sludge looks normal, had to replace the intake gasket and go figure a pcv valve right where you said it was so I replaced it. Still have the vapor at idle, going about 50 with my buddy following me he said it looks like a smoke screen .... but its not smoke dosent look like it. Now that its cold I got the doors on and the cab fills up with the vapor and after an oil change I'm starting to notice that the oil is blowing out my filler all over my air cleaner and puddling on the intake manifold. I thought about putting a normal cap on the filler tube but its smooth the only cap i can find for it is a breather cap.
Honsetly its driving me nuts cus she runs awesome but looks like she smokes bad.

Here is a video of it on youtube.
Vapor from the filler tube - YouTube

That kinda looks like base pressure. If you cover the fill tube with your hand can you feel a pressure change?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks