Upside down steering shaft and bell coupler size

Upside down steering shaft and bell coupler size

nlcj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 cj7,T150
Hi all,

The PO put my steering shaft in upside down for some reason so theres a rag joint going into the box and the bell coupler is up on the steering column side.

the coupler is shot and I want to replace it but cant find the right one. the ID of the old coupler is 1".

Any ideas on what this coupler might be from??

Thanks

hmm thats strange, i wonder why they would put a chevy rag joint on your jeep

The original CJ shaft doesn't have a rag joint at all. It uses a bell coupler on the box end and non replaceable u-joint type joint on the column end.

Sounds like you have some sort of custom shaft, maybe a shortened or home made deal. I would measure the shaft coming out of the column and count the splines, and do the same for the box. Then look for an aftermarket shaft to fit.

Hi all,

The PO put my steering shaft in upside down for some reason so theres a rag joint going into the box and the bell coupler is up on the steering column side.

the coupler is shot and I want to replace it but cant find the right one. the ID of the old coupler is 1".

Any ideas on what this coupler might be from??

Thanks

I had the same problem with my CJ, a PO hacked in a "custom" shaft using the GM rag joint which hit the frame when turned. That wasn't the only issue, the steering box wasn't the correct one for the jeep,
near as I could tell it came from a GM truck. The input shaft was larger than the stock shaft should have been and pitman arm wasn't jeep either.
So check everything in the steering system, usually when something isn't right there is a reason.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think Im just gonna replace the whole lower steering shaft assembly. There's a little slop in the sleeve anyway.

Im pretty sure the steering box is original. The input shaft is 3/4" and has 36 splines. As for the steering column, does anyone know what the OD and spline count should be?

Updating for anyone that might be looking. My googling gave me conflicting information but I think I have cross referenced enough to say whats going on here.

Took some better measurements and they are as follows

Steering box input shaft: 13/16" - 36 spline
Steering columns shaft: 1" - 48 spline

The first attachment is the steering shaft that I just took out. Anyone know what this might have come from?

The other attachments are pictures supporting that the dimensions listed above are normal.These were the most common dimension I found. However, I did find sources stating otherwise.

This might be old new to lots of you, but it took more digging than you might expect. In case anyone is looking for the same, there you go.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_133725432.jpg
    IMG_20180318_133725432.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 44
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
Yes those sizes look right to me, in my case for a power steering setup. Not sure the manual box end is the same. I used the HD shaft from omix, not a borgsen shaft but it will get the job done. That shaft could be GM car or truck, they used them in both.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks