Update on "stalling @ idle" problem

Update on "stalling @ idle" problem

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
As some are aware, my 5 had a problem where she would stall almost every time I stopped after the engine warmed up. Today, Wayne, (our shop foreman @ work), rebuilt the Carter BBD & cut, then mounted my nerf bars. The carb was clean & the only problem he found was the rebuilder had put the accelerator pump linkage in wrong. After we got the 5 running again, we still had the stalling problem. Wayne got his meters out & checked the battery & alternator. Both were fine. He then checked the voltage to the coil. It was rolling from 6-1.43. 1.43 was when she would stall. We had to up the idle speed from 650 to 1100 to keep her from stalling. Wayne unhooked the Sunpro Super Tach II from the coil & the stalling stopped. My question is "do I need a special tach for the EI?

Last edited:
Where is the tach getting its signal from?

Per the instructions, the green goes to the coil, black to ground (on battery), white to the lights, (spliced into hot on the light switch), & red to a fuse that's hot when the key is on.

well that sounds right...I don't think you need a special coil for a EI, but I could be wrong. I run a similar tach in mine but I havent hooked it up since I did the original CDI ignition system upgrade. That requires a special tach converter to make the tach read correct. You don't have a CDI box on there do ya?

Per the instructions, the green goes to the coil, black to ground (on battery), white to the lights, (spliced into hot on the light switch), & red to a fuse that's hot when the key is on.
Green to the Neg side of the coil.. Correct?

Green on the tach goes to green off the coil, (wire off coil is green & it's the wire closest to the firewall). Tach worked correctly. Ignition parts are all stock to the best of my knowledge.

If the green lead off of the coil is indeed neg (look on the coil), it sounds like you may have got a hold of a bad tach... You don't have access to another do you?

No, I don't hav another tach. I'm curious why the voltage goes from 6 jumps around @ idle, from 6 volts down to 1.42 volts. Shouldn't the voltage stay steadt?

It should stay steady. I thought the voltage stays steady if the tac is NOT connected.

MyLittleCJ5 brought up a good point, do you have an aftermarket ignition box? They have a dedicated tac output...

As far as I know, the entire ignition setup is stock. I don't think it was the tach. Sunday she started stalling again. I'm going to do the MC2100 swap as soon as finances allow.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks