universal joints wont pass through steering knuckle

universal joints wont pass through steering knuckle

bobt

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-5 258ci/T150-3spd
I replaced the original u-joints on my Dana 30 axle with new ones from Auto Zone-Duralast brand. When I tried to re-install the axle spindles, the u-joint caps wont pass through the steering knuckle. Is it safe to grind down the inner edge of the knucle enough to let them pass through or is there something else I should try.

This confuses me? The caps can't be beyond the joint if you were able to snap in the retainer clips.

I had this problem on one of my front axles,too. It just caught on the edges of the caps. I filed them down a bit and filed the inside of the knuckle just enough to get things together. No issues in years.

The caps can't be beyond the joint if you were able to snap in the retainer clips.

It's tight but should go in straight.

How about a photo?

After i posted my thread i went and checked the other side. The driver side caps are flush and pass right tjrough the knuckle. The passenger side still sticks out about 1/16 andwont pass. I did buy two different ujoints from auto zone.both were duralast but one was more expensive than the other. I bought two diffetemt onrs brcause they didnt have 2 of the same and i didnt feel like waiting.guess i learned a good lesson. I am going to try and fole them down enough to pass through. Thanks for everyones help

When you change out u-joints, it is always a good idea to check if the yokes have spread out. You can check by measuring the distance of the height of the u-joint to the distance between the slots for retaining clips in the yoke.

This confuses me? The caps can't be beyond the joint if you were able to snap in the retainer clips.

Axle shaft joints put a c-clip on the inside of the yoke. They're not like the driveshaft joints that put the goofy shaped clip on the outside of the cap. It's possible to have aftermarket caps that are too "tall" and still have them clip into the yoke.

I would double check that they are in all the way and that the clips are secured properly.

If it's still a problem, I'd look at returning those joints and buying Spicer brand replacements.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks