Trans Transmission for my CJ7

Trans Transmission for my CJ7

oldcj7guy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7, 258, D20, AMC20
I have a 1979 CJ7 258L with the T-150 transmission and the Dana 20 transfer case. The transfer case is shot, so I plan to replace it with a Dana 300. I'm also considering an automatic transmission. Looking for recommendations for the best auto to put into it and best practices/pitfalls. thanks

Since it's a CJ7 you have a few extra inches of room to play with (not like a CJ5). I would definitely look at an overdrive auto like a 700r4 or a 460l or if you don't mind adding a computer a 460le. Novak has a great selection of kits and write-ups.

I did the 700R4 and love it. Novak hooked me up with the needed adaptor for the D300, along with a twin-stick kit for it also. I do a lot of highway driving as the CJ is my daily driver, so the overdrive in the 700R4 was perfect for me. Don't forget to change the brake light switch to also accommodate the lockup torque converter feature. This non-computerized tranny is also known as the 4L60 (no "E"). The 4L60E (with the "E") is also a great choice, basically the same unit but with electronic/computer control.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
What is the advantage of the "E" transmission?
In modern engines with a computer, the computer is used to program shift points and converter lockup rpm. Hence the E for electronic.

In modern engines with a computer, the computer is used to program shift points and converter lockup rpm. Hence the E for electronic.
With the non "E" 700R4 or 4L60, you have a TV cable (Throttle Valve cable) from the throttle on the carb going down to the tranny to control shift points and kickdown; and the torque converter lockup is controlled by the transmission simply shifting into OD. This cable has mechanical adjustment providing some Limited ability to control the shift points. This also means you would need a mounting bracket on/near the carb to connect the cable and its adjuster. I custom made a bracket for my throttle cable and TV cable to both mount and my throttle body on my EFI engine already had connection points for both. Electronic control would be nice, but my engine's ECM didn't have any for the tranny, so I would have also needed a separate TCM (transmission control module) if I had gone the "E" route. Not a huge deal, just another step and a bit more wiring.

I assume the TV cable is the one that I've been calling the 'kick down cable"? I don't know a whole lot about auto transmissions. Very helpful input. I'm now leaning toward the electronic solution. Thanks much!

The TV cable is commonly called a kick down cable. Depending on the transmission it may have other functions as well.
This is an example of what controller you would need if you proceed with a computer controlled transmission.

OP, I strongly urge you to contact Novak Transmission. 😉

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks