Transmission for 1975 CJ5 w/ 258?

Transmission for 1975 CJ5 w/ 258?

billkiene

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
none
What are some of the choices of transmissions for this Jeep for some hwy and some mild off-roading?

I am trying to design the end machine before I buy a Jeep CJ5 to do a frame off restoration.

So far I am leaning towards a 1972-1975 Jeep CJ5 with a 258 I6.

Thanks for any incite....

Define "highway"....55-60mph 2 lane, 70+mph interstate, etc?

The 72-75s are certainly neat years, but will be much more difficult to do a restoration on. A few parts interchange with 76+ CJs, and even fewer parts interchange with the more common 78+. Some parts are the same/simliar (or interchange with) the 71 and older. A lot of parts are unique to the 72-75 years and can be difficult to find and expensive when you do. That being said, I would love to get a hold of a '72-'75 CJ6 (had one for parts but it would have been more of a project than I wanted so I let it go).

As for the transmission, If you are doing a true restoration, a 72-75 I6 came with a T14 3 speed. If you just want something period correct, a T-15 3 speed from a V8 (or a T-150 3 speed from a 76-79 CJ) will do fine for general cruising.

A T18 from a 77-79 CJ will have a 6.32 granny gear that works great offroad and drives like a 3 speed on the road. A FSJ T18, Ford T18, or Ford NP435 will also work with some modifications.

But IMO, the best all around option for a CJ5 would be a T176 4 speed out of an 80s CJ with a D300 behind it. If you end up with a CJ7 (or 6 or 8) there are several other options, including 5 speeds.

Thanks for the wonderful info jp360cj.

I will get back to you about that.

I am looking at the 1975 and older because of the California smog laws.

I recently did a 2 year frame off rebuild of an air cooled VW dune buggy so after that I do know quit a bit about that world. The Bugformance staff in Sacramento has so much knowledge and help me a ton.

Is that T176 you talk about a granny low gear or regular 4 speed?

I am so glad I found this Forum............

Billkiene, the T176 tranny has a 4 to 1 first gear, which is excellent on the street. There are a few granny low gear manual transmissions that will work in your CJ. You can get a lower transfer case ratio also. Hopefully you have a good rear axle ratio that will work good on the street. On my '86 with a aftermarket fuel injection, I have had few issues with Ca. smog rules. Post up some pics of your CJ.

Thanks TorxHead

I am actually reaching now to get my total Jeep figured out before I buy one.

Am excited about the good help from this Form.....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks