TCase Transfer Case Question

Transfer case
TCase Transfer Case Question

eazywind02

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
Need some help here? I have a 78 CJ7, that I have an AMC 360, T-18 manual transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case. My problem is, I think that I have an issue with my transfer case, but not entirely sure. It had been recently rebuilt and I had no issues driving around for a few hundred miles. All of a sudden I started hearing a noise that I thought had been coming from my rear end, but I inspected everything and the only thing I found was a left rear blown axle seal. Easy fix. The noise sounds like metal being lathed and a slight pull when it happens. I’ve stopped driving it because it’s unnerving. I’ve drained the oil and it looked fine (small flakes that I attributed to breaking in). Has anyone had a similar issue and maybe I’m just focusing in the wrong area. Zero off road driving since I had been breaking the vehicle in from a major rebuild. Thanks for any guidance and/or assistance.

Attachments

• 778938E2-2705-4FA3-9F16-C7BE1F92C308.jpeg
    778938E2-2705-4FA3-9F16-C7BE1F92C308.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 10
Welcome aboard!! If the Jeep is pulling to one side when the noise appears, I would look at brakes and bearings on the side it pulls to. I wouldn’t think it would favor one side over the other if it were trans or transfer case related.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks