transfer case output shaft seal

transfer case output shaft seal

lowcountry

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7, 258, D30, amc 20, D300, 4sp, '70 Z28, LSX, 6sp, 711 fwhp (N/A), 2015 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
So I'm replacing the seal on the front output shaft. As I'm taking stuff apart, I am noticing silicone behind the shaft nut and on the splines. I am assuming this was done to prevent seeping of oil through the spines.

Do you think this is necessary? I have seen this done in other applications, but there is no mention of this in the Jeep manual.

Mucho Gracias.

I just replaced my front output shaft seal a couple of months ago. [Dana 300]
I didn't use anything on the new seal and so far it's not leaked a drop.

I struggled with this problem for over a year before coming up with a solution. The rear output yoke had a grove machined into it for an "O" ring to prevent seepage, but the front does not, and I could not find a yoke that has this grove in it. I replaced the seal 3x thinking that was the problem before discovering that the oil was coming from behind the pinion washer via the splines. Twice I coated everything with silicone, but it still leaked. Finally I made a felt washer to go behind the pinion washer. Torqued it down, and not a drop of oil has leaked out since. Just don't use too thick of a piece of felt because it will tend to continue to compress for a while, and the torque on the pinion nut will not be correct. 1/8" to 3/16" is sufficient, and will not adversely affect pinion nut torque.

I struggled with this problem for over a year before coming up with a solution. The rear output yoke had a grove machined into it for an "O" ring to prevent seepage, but the front does not, and I could not find a yoke that has this grove in it. I replaced the seal 3x thinking that was the problem before discovering that the oil was coming from behind the pinion washer via the splines. Twice I coated everything with silicone, but it still leaked. Finally I made a felt washer to go behind the pinion washer. Torqued it down, and not a drop of oil has leaked out since. Just don't use too thick of a piece of felt because it will tend to continue to compress for a while, and the torque on the pinion nut will not be correct. 1/8" to 3/16" is sufficient, and will not adversely affect pinion nut torque.

Sounds interesting...thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom