Tranny removal

Tranny removal

weithman5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj-7 renegade (original owner)
Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find. I am removing the tranny from my 84 cj before pulling engine. Is it easier to leave the crossmember and tranny together and separate later or leave the member on the frame . The tub is off so I can get to it from above

Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find. I am removing the tranny from my 84 cj before pulling engine. Is it easier to leave the crossmember and tranny together and separate later or leave the member on the frame . The tub is off so I can get to it from above

i would say pull the trans leave the crossmember.

I always drop the crossmember to get to the driveshaft bolts and shifter bolts because my tub has been in place most of the time

Do you mean the skid-plate??:confused:
Pull the s'plate and then the tranny.
Put support under the engine so it doesn't twist and tear the rad. with the fan blades.
Make sure you disco the POS(+) battery lead.
I use ramps that lift my rear whheels about 12" for clearence to remove the tranny and t'case as a single unit from under the jeep.
Hope you have a tranny jack;)
LG

Do you mean the skid-plate??:confused:
Pull the s'plate and then the tranny.
Put support under the engine so it doesn't twist and tear the rad. with the fan blades.
Make sure you disco the POS(+) battery lead.
I use ramps that lift my rear whheels about 12" for clearence to remove the tranny and t'case as a single unit from under the jeep.
Hope you have a tranny jack;)
LG

LG do read the posts? He said the tub is off.

thanks guys.
yes I guess you could call it a skid plate. manuals all referred to it as a cross member.
yes tub is off. I have the engine supported for the time being. I think taking the cross member off first and then backing out the transmission with floor jack may be a little more user friendly

LG do read the posts? He said the tub is off.

I did read the post-That's why I asked for the clarification of wording used.
My CRS came into the game also. :D
In my defense-I was only on my first cup of coffee. :laugh:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks