Trailer wiring

Trailer wiring

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
Before I build my own 4 pin harness does anyone know if there is a plug and play 4 pin harness for the CJ I have an 85.

The trailer is just a little 5x8 utility trailer I'll use for parts hauling and moving my lawnmower so I don't need the lecture about our Jeeps not being able to tow anything. Trust me I'd never tow with my Jeep anyway (well except for when I tow other Jeeps out of the mud)

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I didn't think that was possible because of the crazy CJ rear light wiring, but I did find this. Might be worth investigating. Does yours have the plug connectors as shown?

trl1.JPG

I don't recall TBH but I will look. For some reason I was thinking it was a flat hook up when I did my tail lights.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't have those type plugs. Here's the harness and the flat taillight connector plugs. Of course the driver and passenger side plugs are the same except the passenger side has the extra wire for an additional marker light (use this for the brown in your trailer wiring).
harness.jpg harness_plug.jpg harness_plug2.jpg

Easy enough to splice into however. I had to make some mods to the wiring when I installed my LED taillights anyway, so I wired a trailer light plug in at the same time. I also added ground wires to the harness rather than rely on the ground being provided by the mounting lugs in the light housings. I used a combination type trailer light connector that has both a 7-pin and a 4-pin connector built in. My Jeep tub trailer has the 7-pin connector so I have backup lights and access to aux power from my secondary battery. My other utility trailer has the normal 4-pin connector. So the Jeep can support both.

And to Manic's comment about the Jeep being able to tow, as long as you keep it within reason, it can do the job. I tow my Jeep tub trailer into the woods when deer/quail hunting and on camping trips to hold the tent, cooler, sleeping bags, camp chairs, etc. Even a load of firewood to places where you have to bring your own in. Now I've towed my 14' utility trailer as well, but only to pick up some lumber or help someone move some furniture. Never fully loaded like with bags of cement or cinder blocks or towing a car on it, and never on the interstate at higher speeds. While I believe I have the horsepower to pull it, the short wheel base and suspension isn't designed for it for sure.

connector.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks