Misc. Tire & Wheel Cleaner

Misc. Tire & Wheel Cleaner

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
#1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304, TH400, BW1339 (MM), D30/Auburn Max, AMC20/Trac-Lok/G2's, 4.88's, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper 4bbl EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, 4" ProComp lift.

#2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project - Incomplete/Undecided)
If you weeks ago, I picked up a good used set of BFG MTs from a guy over in Sacramento. They came with a set of Raceline Rock Crusher aluminum rims.

None of the rims were in great shape, and I didn’t really care because that’s not why I bought the set. The worst one looked like one of those old beanbag ashtrays from the 70s.

Anyway, I am a big fan of raised white letters and these tires had white letters, but the previous owner had had them on the inside and over the miles you can imagine how filthy and encrusted they were.

I did a lot of research and so forth on the Internet and it seem to be that the path of least resistance would be to at least start with Turtle Wax brand tire cleaner

4b3a50fdf2c84ad35ad06c21f38fff95.jpg

I sprayed the stuff on the worst tire, and let it soak on there for between 30 seconds in a minute, and then hit it with a wide brush from the cleaning section at Walmart.

The results were beyond amazing. Here’s a picture of the two worst ones, the one that I did first was way worse than the one you see on the right.

bcb9027193b5662074960e1f62719983.jpg

While I was at the store, I asked the guy if he knew of anything that was good for cleaning aluminum rims, particularly with stripping the clearcoat off of them so that they could be re-polished.

He kind of chuckled when I asked him, and he said “to be honest with you, that tire cleaner that you have in your hand right now...ask me how I know, I found out the hard way.”

He evidently used the tire cleaner on his vehicle, but got it on his coded rims and it peeled the clearcoat right off.

Well that’s exactly what I want to happen so I tried it on my worst rim. I wish I would’ve taken a before picture because it would really tell the story, but I simply didn’t believe that this stuff would do anything at all to my wheel.

Well it did, I’m about 20mins from polishing it. I sprayed the stuff on the aluminum, let it set for 30 seconds to a minute and then start scrubbing your way with one of those cheap kitchen scrub pads. Wow!

268a63284d62e1944d413f0950364d23.jpg

Unreal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks