Tilt steering column shaft moving in and out

Bellworx

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 Levis Renegade 4.2L ,T18 1B, Dana 20

1982 CJ7 Laredo 4.0HO, T5, dana 300

1977 CJ7 Golden Eagle 327, TH400, quadratrac - deceased
So I purchased a used cj tilt column. The listing showed the spline portion sticking out of the bottom like it should. When it arrived the spline end was barely sticking out. Clearly it had recessed back up into ths column. My guess would be the slip shaft has been compressed by a wreck or someone has dropped it. My question is this, is it ok to use this if I can pull it back out? I read there are pins that shear off to allow the shaft to collapse in a wreck situation. I just dont know if it is safe to use or if it will cause other problems not being held together as it should. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190912_164947.jpg
    20190912_164947.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 60
Borrowed this pic from another site. The is the area I believe became separated

Attachments

• 20190913_071549.jpg
    20190913_071549.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 58
Again I borrowed the pic from another site. May have found my answer. There are 2 holes in the slip shaft where they connect inside the column. During the original assembly they inject plastic into these 2 holes to prevent the shaft from moving during assembly. Also the plastic inside acts as a glide and keeps the 2 shafts from seizing/rusting together .This will allow the 2 shafts to compress if in a wreck.

Now I get to see if I can pull the shaft out via the inspection window. Small window. Im sure its going to be a PITA. But its friday, I have an ice cold fridge full of 🍺, a shop fan and a 6 string. What could go wrong 😄

Attachments

• 20190913_082144.jpg
    20190913_082144.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 61

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks