Help Tie Rod Flip

Help Tie Rod Flip

Ultrunner

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘85 CJ7, SCB 350, AX15, D30, Upgraded AMC20, D300
I have been reading a lot about the pros and cons of drop pitman arms vs tie rod flips to help steering after the suspension is lifted. The TRF seems pretty straight forward and there are available kits to do this to the tie rod and drag link. I haven’t seen any info on what guys are doing with the steering stabilizer.

Interested in opinions on this mod, photos (if any) especially how you handled the stabilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Goferit tierod flip kit. It doesn't use a reamer but a 3/4 inch drill bit and inserts. I am using the stock stabilizer which I just rotated the bracket down some and it worked out. I do have a dropped pitman arm, now both rods are parallel to each other.

I used the Goferit tierod flip kit. It doesn't use a reamer but a 3/4 inch drill bit and inserts. I am using the stock stabilizer which I just rotated the bracket down some and it worked out. I do have a dropped pitman arm, now both rods are parallel to each other.

Thanks, yeah and the parallel aspect it really what helps. Getting that geometry right is the key.

I guess it makes sense you could just turn the stabilizer bracket down.

I think the other 2 are Terra and Ok4wd. Both use a reamer go for somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 bucks. Goferit is 20 bucks, you supply the drill bit. They recommend spot welding the insert, but I used sleeve sealer. A product by Locktite used to seal diesel cylinder sleeves to the block.

I used a ream kit and flipped. Made it parallel and really worked best with a dropped pitman arm of only an inch. As stated, just had to position the stabilizer.

I did a tie rod flip with HD tie rod and drag link. Don't use a stabilizer. No problems.

This is mine. Not installed yet, getting a couple other parts for the steering. Just got the MORE steering box bracket. My HD Tie Rod and drag link are from Crabtree Tool and Die. Hand crafted 1 at a time. image.jpeg

Looks good. I’d be interested to see it all assembled.

This is mine. Not installed yet, getting a couple other parts for the steering. Just got the MORE steering box bracket. My HD Tie Rod and drag link are from Crabtree Tool and Die. Hand crafted 1 at a time. View attachment 74231

What did they charge for the tie Rod and drag link? I didn’t see them on their page.

The guy is a one man show. Well made. Makes a lot of different items. $220 for 2 rods $ 57 for the 3 tapered inserts and 4 locking nuts, 2 right and 2 left. Makes alignment simple. When I finish with everything I plan on getting him to make my front bumper w/winch mount.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I’ll hit him up when I’m ready. His heavy duty tie rod kit is cheaper than a lot of others.

Jim Crabtree @ 573-565-0004 Great guy to talk to. I've talked to him a few times. Never in a hurry to get you off the phone. Has a nice CJ7.

Jim Crabtree @ 573-565-0004 Great guy to talk to. I've talked to him a few times. Never in a hurry to get you off the phone. Has a nice CJ7.

Thanks so much Belizean, that’s very kind of you.

I used a ream kit and flipped. Made it parallel and really worked best with a dropped pitman arm of only an inch. As stated, just had to position the stabilizer.
X2...made a huge difference...getting the drag as flat as possible is key

Assuming all else is tip top with your steering, you may find you can ditch your stab altogether

I bought the sleeves that you drill and slide in. I haven't installed yet, but the nuts are barely larger than the sleeve with no room for a washer. I thing a flange nut would help.

I bought the sleeves that you drill and slide in. I haven't installed yet, but the nuts are barely larger than the sleeve with no room for a washer. I thing a flange nut would help.
Which sleeves did you get? The thin OK4wd ones fit and hold in no problem with the stock nuts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks