Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7: Renix 4.0 swap.
1969 MGB GT
1974 Capri race car
1970 Lotus Elan
1959 Lambretta
Hey fellow Jeepers,
I'm looking to flip my tie rods using the rock equipment kit and was wondering if anyone who has done this has a reamer that I could borrow. Would pay shipping plus a little extra.

thanks

I was planning on just buying the inserts (much cheaper), and kicking in a little money to someone who already bought the full kit. It's almost $90 cheaper without the reamer.

I was planning on just buying the inserts (much cheaper), and kicking in a little money to someone who already bought the full kit. It's almost $90 cheaper without the reamer.

:)Use this kit..............then all it requires is the proper sized drill bit:Goferit Products!

Or Parts Mike East of Sacramento will ream them for you........don't know what he charges.

:D:D:D:D:

:)Use this kit..............then all it requires is the proper sized drill bit:Goferit Products!

Or Parts Mike East of Sacramento will ream them for you........don't know what he charges.

:D:D:D:D:

I used the inserts on my old axle, if I were to do it again I would use the Goferit kit. The inserts didn't impress me in there quality.

Interesting to hear. I wanted to do this with the axle installed, so I was thinking reaming by hand and using the Rock Equipment kit would be the safer bet. But I suppose careful and slow use of the hand drill could net good results with the Goferit kit. I also found another site that sells a kit similar to the Goforeit kit. It appears to be a small outfit, so I just emailed the owner to ask a few questions.

Interesting to hear. I wanted to do this with the axle installed, so I was thinking reaming by hand and using the Rock Equipment kit would be the safer bet. But I suppose careful and slow use of the hand drill could net good results with the Goferit kit. I also found another site that sells a kit similar to the Goforeit kit. It appears to be a small outfit, so I just emailed the owner to ask a few questions.

:)
I'm not a big fan of trying to do that job with the spindles still on the vehicle.

Hard to get things lined up correctly and steering is not anything that you need mistakes on.

Clamped in a vise on a mill or in the drill press is the best approach.

Just my $.002

:D:D:D:D

I'm not a big fan of trying to do that job with the spindles still on the vehicle.

Hard to get things lined up correctly and steering is not anything that you need mistakes on.

Clamped in a vise on a mill or in the drill press is the best approach.

Just my $.002

X2 That's a big drill bit, and you want a good true hole. You only need to take the pass. side knuckle off, the rest of the axle can stay bolted up to the jeep.

True. I am a fan of doing it right.
I did see a guy who made a jig that kept the bit lined up while on the vehicle, and it didn't look too difficult. Another Jeeper used a 3/4 inch countersink, and said the edges of the bit helped to keep things in line.
I'd be flipping both drag link and tie rod so I'd need to pull both knuckles.
4ro1R.gif

jeep107036.jpg

I reamed mine with reamer.

Probally nothing wrong with inserts but that's what machine shops do when a hole is bored too large. :)

A drill doesn't leave a good finish compared to a boring head in a mill or reamer.

Last edited:
X2 That's a big drill bit, and you want a good true hole. You only need to take the pass. side knuckle off, the rest of the axle can stay bolted up to the jeep.

I reamed mine with reamer.

Probally nothing wrong with inserts but that's what machine shops do when a hole is bored too large. :)

A drill doesn't leave a good finish compared to a boring head in a mill or reamer.

Hey Dog ....we normally do both sides .........If your going to flip the tie rod may as well do both sides.

Reverse reaming the hole is permanent to the knuckle ........the inserts once installed in a straight hole are normally spot welded on the upper flange and can be removed and reversed at a later date if your steering arrangement ever changes....... Never had any issues drilling these as long as they were clamped down and a sharp properly sized drill was employed...........either process is acceptable , just depends on the tooling and capabilities you have at hand.

Reverse reaming the hole is permanent to the knuckle .......

I like permanent. Dana 30 knuckles a dime a dozen around here Got two sets if you need any. Probably going for scrap metal along with several housing.

Hey Dog ....we normally do both sides .........If your going to flip the tie rod may as well do both sides.

Your right, I don't know what I was thinking. :wtf:

Well I found a loaner reamer so I'm going to try the taper kit. If there's a problem I can always drill it all out and do the goferit method.
Will post results

Just wanted to follow up. Found a local jeeper who loaned me the reamer, and I went for it with the rock equipment kit. Turned out great and was very easy to do. I did it by hand with plenty of cutting oil, and checked fitment a lot so as not o ream to much. First picture below I put the reamer through the original taper and marked it with tape so I had a rough idea of how deep to go.

2014-05-26.jpg

2014-05-26.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks