Misc. Ticking While Starting

Misc. Ticking While Starting

JSM

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ7 Laredo 258
Hi and thanks in advance for any guidance. I'm attaching a sound clip of a very noticeable tick when starting. As soon as it fires up it stops so I assume it's something in the ignition/starter system rather than the engine. I thought it may be something with the starter but have swapped that and no change. I also checked the ring gear while I had the starter off, and it looks good (no ground teeth, etc). It's a bit rough starting/idling at the moment, which you'll also hear in the clip, but that's because it's been sitting and it appears that I likely need to rebuild the carb. I'm trying to figure out the source of the startup tick in the meantime though. I tried digging through other starter related threads but no success so far finding anything similar. Thanks again for any thoughts and help diagnosing.

Attachments

• 1980 Jeep CJ-7 Ticking 20230806.mp3
    150.5 KB
Hi and thanks in advance for any guidance. I'm attaching a sound clip of a very noticeable tick when starting. As soon as it fires up it stops so I assume it's something in the ignition/starter system rather than the engine. I thought it may be something with the starter but have swapped that and no change. I also checked the ring gear while I had the starter off, and it looks good (no ground teeth, etc). It's a bit rough starting/idling at the moment, which you'll also hear in the clip, but that's because it's been sitting and it appears that I likely need to rebuild the carb. I'm trying to figure out the source of the startup tick in the meantime though. I tried digging through other starter related threads but no success so far finding anything similar. Thanks again for any thoughts and help diagnosing.
With the caveat that my ears are rather well used I hear nothing amiss.

With the caveat that my ears are rather well used I hear nothing amiss.
I agree with @NP435
It's hard to tell but since you are just talking about during cranking I would pull the coil wire so it doesn't start so you can more easily listen and eliminate engine running sounds.
You can also pull the plugs to help it spin faster to help with diagnosis.
Is it a rocker tick that you hear and then goes away when the oil pressure comes up? If so, you could have a bad lifter but its going to take more investigation.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: JSM
Thanks for the replies @NP435 and @CJ. Sorry for the delay on my end. It's been a busy week and no time for the Jeep. Here's another clip with the coil disconnected. Under the attempted engine crank, I'm hearing a repetitive and consistent tick that I wouldn't expect is normal although perhaps it is. I considered it being a rocker tick, but what threw me off that is that it stops immediately when the engine cranks and you release the ignition switch where I would anticipate a little time with the engine running to build oil pressure. Would the pressure build that quick as soon as the engine fires? Thanks again for your time and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1980 Jeep CJ7 Ticking 20230811 - Without Engine Start.mp3
    71 KB
Thanks for the replies @NP435 and @CJ. Sorry for the delay on my end. It's been a busy week and no time for the Jeep. Here's another clip with the coil disconnected. Under the attempted engine crank, I'm hearing a repetitive and consistent tick that I wouldn't expect is normal although perhaps it is. I considered it being a rocker tick, but what threw me off that is that it stops immediately when the engine cranks and you release the ignition switch where I would anticipate a little time with the engine running to build oil pressure. Would the pressure build that quick as soon as the engine fires? Thanks again for your time and thoughts. Much appreciated.
The oil pump begins to produce pressure when the crankshaft begins to turn, full pressure is there when the engine fires or slightly after, lifters make noise as does the rocker arm stuff, nothing to worry about really. You might consider getting a mechanic to listen and help you.

• Thanks for the Post!
I hear it. Sounds like flex plate or flywheel depending on trans. Might be a loose starter. If a manual trans, might be clutch related. Check bolts, etc. I had a SBC with a stripped starter bolt once that made some racket.

• Thanks for the Post!
I hear it. Sounds like flex plate or flywheel depending on trans. Might be a loose starter. If a manual trans, might be clutch related. Check bolts, etc. I had a SBC with a stripped starter bolt once that made some racket.
Thanks for the additional thoughts and suggestions. I know the starter is tight and torqued correctly, but I'll work on checking the others. It might take me some time to work through this one, but I'll definitely follow up and confirm/post the solution once I pinpoint it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom