The Ultimate Tool

The Ultimate Tool

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I just bought a Millermatic 211 MIG Welder.
attachment.php

I have a floor drill press, an air compressor and impact wrenches. I love tools but I think a welder is the ultimate tool. I can't think of any tool as versatile and useful. It can repair things made of steel. You can also fabricate things from scrap metal.

But I am a beginner welder. Before yesterday I never welded at all. The welder came with a DVD on setting up the welder and basic, getting started, videos. That really helped. There are also videos on the internet. This one is really good. GMAW MIG Welding - YouTube It's 45 minutes long and has lots of very good info in it. I'm sure you would find it useful even if you have been welding for a few years.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have been collecting scrap metal to practice on but I only did 2 test welds before I was saying I want to do a real project.

I have always thought my fireplace grate was too small so as my first project I used rebar to make it bigger. I was thinking How can I screw this up? It's heavy metal but doesn't hold much weight.
attachment.php

For my first attempt at welding I think it came out pretty good. Most welds looked good but I had this one that has gas bubbles in it.
attachment.php

This next one had such penetration that the weld almost seemed to be recessed. I don't know if that's much of a problem. It would have been a problem if it was thin metal.
attachment.php

But hey, I'm thinking this is easy! I've got a million things I'd like to do with my welder, and half of them are on my jeep.

At first I was thinking of getting something inexpensive as a first welder. I'm glad I didn't. People were telling me that before long I'd be good enough for bigger projects and I wouldn't want to sell a smaller welder less than a year after buying it. Nor did I want to start off with stick welding and later move up to MIG.

The Millermatic 211 is a powerful welder. It uses 110 or 220 volts but you need 220 to weld anything over 3/8 inch thick. It has an AutoSet feature so I just set the wire diameter and metal thickness and it does the rest. Or if I want I can set the wire speed and voltage if i want to go the manual route. It has a chart inside the door to help with the settings.

Attachments

• Millermatic211 (Medium).jpg
    Millermatic211 (Medium).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Fireplace grate (Medium).JPG
    Fireplace grate (Medium).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,613
  • Weld (Medium).JPG
    Weld (Medium).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 679
  • weld-bubbles (Medium).jpg
    weld-bubbles (Medium).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,042
Last edited:
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have the Miller 130 and I have no complaints. I also have a stick welder for the heavier stuff. Fabricating stuff is lots of fun.

Money well spent pal. This time next year you won't know how you ever got along with out it. Now start thinking about an Oxy acetylene torch and/or a cut off saw. :cool:

Wow Dave I wouldve thought youd have been welding since you were about 6 by the looks of your CJ. Thanks for sharing this. It gives me hope for myself. :)

Congrats! Nice setup! Koda looks happy to! Your later welds look much better....

Next we will step you up to "tungsten inert gas"

A good welder is a mandatory shop tool for these old jeeps. They keep the frame alive plus the project list gets huge quickly once you start looking at other item that you can now build for very cheap.

Money well spent pal. This time next year you won't know how you ever got along with out it. :cool:
I'm already saying that. I used to bring my jeep over to a friends house to get any welding done. :D

Everytime I see this thread pop back up I think it is referring to someone. :D My twisted mind just seems to go there.

Nice tool Dave!

Dave, he called you a tool. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks