TF999 tranny and floor shifter

TF999 tranny and floor shifter

Tectron

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, T176 Trans, 304 CID, 300 tc, Summit HEI Dist, Edelbrock intake, carb and cam, stock diffs 4.56 gears with Front and rear lockrites, Family Cage, 15x10x12.5 BFG MT's, 4" lift.
Wanting to put a tf999 in my CJ7, was wondering what would be a good quality easy install floor shifter for that app, I have a 4 speed manual in it right now. Also looking for A tf999 at the moment.

B&M makes a nice cable floor shifter. Locar makes linkage style floor shifter. Summit racing is good source to check them out. I don't believe CJs had a floor shifter for the auto, only column.

B&M makes a nice cable floor shifter. Locar makes linkage style floor shifter. Summit racing is good source to check them out. I don't believe CJs had a floor shifter for the auto, only column.

I believe you are right, no floor shifter came in an 80 CJ7. I did look a bit at the places you mentioned. In some of the reviews people are more in favor of the non "ratchet" type, I need to look into exactly what that's all about.

In some of the reviews people are more in favor of the non "ratchet" type, I need to look into exactly what that's all about.

It's mainly a racing style shifter meaning you can pull it into first then rachet up through the gears, allows you to hold in a gear longer or less than the programmed trans shift points, also prevents hitting natural while in the top gear, locks out reverse too. Manual trans shifters that use this style are called v-gates.

It's mainly a racing style shifter meaning you can pull it into first then rachet up through the gears, allows you to hold in a gear longer or less than the programmed trans shift points, also prevents hitting natural while in the top gear, locks out reverse too. Manual trans shifters that use this style are called v-gates.

So is it personal preference thing ? or is one actually better than the other for off roading ? Not sure it would matter for the type of use I would be putting it in.

So is it personal preference thing ? or is one actually better than the other for off roading ? Not sure it would matter for the type of use I would be putting it in.

I don't really see need for one in day to day offroading, might be a hindrance in certain situations. I have offloaded only a couple of times with a auto and I let the tranny do it's thing. I prefer a manual for offroading.

I don't really see need for one in day to day offroading, might be a hindrance in certain situations. I have offloaded only a couple of times with a auto and I let the tranny do it's thing. I prefer a manual for offroading.

For years I prefered a Manual, But an unfortunate Motorcycle accident left me with half a left leg, so clutching is a real bear, no left ankle, and with a size 13 shoe there's not much room on the floor board.

For years I prefered a Manual, But an unfortunate Motorcycle accident left me with half a left leg, so clutching is a real bear, no left ankle, and with a size 13 shoe there's not much room on the floor board.

So do you think the tf999 is a good choice if I can find one ?

I will settle for a column shifter only if I have to :)

Last edited:
I have a Lokar floor sifter in my CJ7. I also have the TF999. I love them both. Most people think its still a stick. I'll look for some pictures of when I was installing it, I have to go thu google (i upgraded computers). It was a pretty easy install adjusting is the hardest part. Lokar was great to work with. I would check out their site, then order form summit. I think that's what I did. Found them but I can't attach.

I have a Lokar floor sifter in my CJ7. I also have the TF999. I love them both. Most people think its still a stick. I'll look for some pictures of when I was installing it, I have to go thu google (i upgraded computers). It was a pretty easy install adjusting is the hardest part. Lokar was great to work with. I would check out their site, then order form summit. I think that's what I did. Found them but I can't attach.

I have feelers out on a tf999 no hits yet, there getting pretty rare it seems, But i will look into the lokar shifter, thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks