TeamRush Ignition Upgrade

TeamRush Ignition Upgrade
Motorcraft distributed part #
What engine?
The part number for a 6 cylinder distributor cap is KCR-202X.
This is only the cap. The adapter is C193AP.
I6Conversion05.gif

Thanks for the part number info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, so I've read the whole thing, and I don't understand something (probably a lot, but I'll start here). BusaDave you recommend the 5551 MSD wire (8.0mm) that we can cut to length. MSD sells wires 8.5mm, and another forum user (I think) was trying to say that was their recommendation. Those were "pre-cut" so probably would have been too long. Is there a reason the 5551 is better than the other? Have I missed a simple piece here?

I'm looking to put this together on my '79 304, but will keep the Duraspark module for now (I'm just thinking of doing cap, rotor, coil, wires, and new plugs). Someday when my 304 finally quits, I'll drop a 360 and be ahead.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there, but I just didn't understand. I was looking on Summit, and wasn't sure what the difference was about.

BusaDave you recommend the 5551 MSD wire (8.0mm) that we can cut to length. MSD sells wires 8.5mm, and another forum user (I think) was trying to say that was their recommendation. Those were "pre-cut" so probably would have been too long. Is there a reason the 5551 is better than the other? Have I missed a simple piece here?

I'm looking to put this together on my '79 304, but will keep the Duraspark module for now (I'm just thinking of doing cap, rotor, coil, wires, and new plugs). Someday when my 304 finally quits, I'll drop a 360 and be ahead.

The key difference is the distributor cap. The Team Rush upgrade entails replacing the distributor cap with a ford style. Once you put this cap on those AMC wires won't work. That is why I used Cut-to-Length wires.

120323.jpg

AMC Cap

8433_full.jpg

MSD Ford Cap

Last edited:
Ah. So, that was pretty obvious. Thanks for the clarification.

Are there any sources of heavier duty Dist caps for the 258? My cap and rotor seem to burn out frequently, comparatively. I dont drive a huge amount of miles every year, but it seems when I start driving more in the fall it starts running rough, and when I check the cap the terminals show signs of burning and corrosion. Is it the fact that I DONT drive it every day?

I have checked on Summit and can find MSD caps for the 8, but just standard motor products cap for the 6.

Stock distributor, running the MSD 6al ignition. Would upgrading to HEI help?

What engine?
The part number for a 6 cylinder distributor cap is KCR-202X.
This is only the cap. The adapter is C193AP.
I6Conversion05.gif

Are there any sources of heavier duty Dist caps for the 258? My cap and rotor seem to burn out frequently, comparatively. I dont drive a huge amount of miles every year, but it seems when I start driving more in the fall it starts running rough, and when I check the cap the terminals show signs of burning and corrosion. Is it the fact that I DONT drive it every day?

I have checked on Summit and can find MSD caps for the 8, but just standard motor products cap for the 6.

Stock distributor, running the MSD 6al ignition. Would upgrading to HEI help?
Is this the cap you are using?

Do you have the alum terminals, or brass in your distributor cap?
If alum-Get the brass one from NAPA.
Buy a new rotor also.
Don't forget to put a few drops of oil on the felt pad in the dizzy shaft. ;)
LG

I completed the Team Rush Distributor upgrade on my 258 this weekend. I haven’t noticed any real performance upgrades but all I can say is WOW it starts so much easier! Usually I have to turn it over several times when the motor is cold. Now all I have todo is bump the key and it fires right up! Apparently, Blue Streak uses a different part number for the previously listed cap, rotor and adapter. The following pictures are the parts you need to do this upgrade on a I-6 258: (I would recommend getting longer plug wires. I couldn’t find a way to keep a couple of these wires from touching.)

Plugs:
157f81a323e0a7a88dccb6424d0ad236.jpg

Rotor:
4da0fd44b499673fb12fe3ced5e51fe5.jpg

Cap:
ab5a236a834c76fc80c10c40d818dbdc.jpg

Cap Adapter:
0d9a814fb6e273df5470a0f69ca89e39.jpg

Plug Wires:
62b52719af9848a6632bdb93c692db5f.jpg

PLZ post a couple of pictures of the install.
I suggest copper anti-seize on the SP threads. Plus a coat of dielectric grease on the porcelain area of the plug, where the plug's boot makes contact.
LG

PLZ post a couple of pictures of the install.

I suggest copper anti-seize on the SP threads. Plus a coat of dielectric grease on the porcelain area of the plug, where the plug's boot makes contact.

LG

I used the heck out of some dielectric grease but I forgot to buy Copper anti-seize but will get it next time I go to napa! I’ll get some pictures soon.

Unfortunately, I did the install last weekend and didn’t think to take any pictures during the install. Really, BusaDave covers the whole thing really well and the distributor upgrade was extremely easy. I was unsure of the cylinder order so I googled it and quickly found the answer for the cylinder and the distributor.

I would say the distributor upgrade took less than an hour. Here’s a picture of my new distributor and wires. If y’all have any questions or suggestions please feel free to send them this way!

426eabd0d4cf9bfadcf145eaa40548ca.jpg4f5abefc0e912e2f84b19ac40b63f22d.jpg

EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, did you only do the distributor parts you listed? You have not done the MSD 6? And is that the stock coil in your pics?

EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN, did you only do the distributor parts you listed? You have not done the MSD 6? And is that the stock coil in your pics?

I did not do the MSD6. I was planning on doing this upgrade in phases. That is not the stock coil. I bought the MSD Blaster High Vibration Off-road coil. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Didn’t see your comment.

One more question about this upgrade, when adding the MSD 6 module - Does the timing need to be adjusted when using the box?

One more question about this upgrade, when adding the MSD 6 module - Does the timing need to be adjusted when using the box?

I didn't adjust mine

Yea, it's not necessary to adjust the timing.

Looking into some of these mods a little farther I've read on here that many people use copper anti-seize on the spark plugs. I found an interesting link in my readings and was wondering what any of you think of it:

Here is the biggest part of the article that caught my attention since the Team Rush upgrade gives an Autolite spark plug number:

"Autolite’s position on anti-seize:
Autolite does NOT recommend the use any type of anti seize lubricant when installing new Autolite spark plugs. Since anti-seize compounds contain metallic, electrically conductive ingredients, the ingredients can come in contact with the electrodes on the spark plugs, leading to misfires. Anti seize lubricants also introduce a torque multiplying effect, leading to cylinder head spark plug thread distortion, galling and cylinder head damage.

Autolite applies a nickel plating to the threads of new spark plugs that resists corrosion and seizing."

Here is the link to the whole article:
Anti-seize on spark plug threads — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

Does this upgrade make that huge of a difference to cold weather starting? I am considering this in the future but am not sure of the improvement to starting is worth the trouble. I still have the stock system in mine as far as i can tell although I suspect my coil is aftermarket.

Just completed mine today. I did not change the coil. Still using the stock coil. I can't speak for cold weather start as we don't experience that stuff here in Phoenix. I will say that it shouldn't be looked at as an extra expense. It's simply using a larger cap, better wires, and plugs. All in, I was around $90, for a nice tune-up. My jeep ran decent before, so I'm not sure I am seeing a huge difference other than a bit cleaner transition through shifts. I plan to upgrade the coil to a MSD Blaster soon. Then I will investigate the MSD 6 Ignition Module.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks