Trans T150 rebuild problems

Trans T150 rebuild problems

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
So I'm putting the transmission all back together and something isn't right. This transmission was trashed most of all the gears are ok enough for what I plain on using it for. But synchronizers was gone one set exploded and that's the reason I had to rebuild. Might have to buy 2 new sets of synchronizers but there's a bigger problem.

It won't go back together I rebuild synchronizers and new brass ring and replaced the reverse idler gear all new bearing and needle bearings. Put all together and when you push in the rear bear pushes out the front bearing. But if you take off the spacing washer on the back of the shaft (one that goes into the transfer case) it all goes together.

Question is could someone have put wrong parts in this transmission years ago to make it be like this. Allgears one the shaft have to be in the correct spot and correct spacing because all the clips and new washers line up. Didn't know if the front clutch shaft could be wrong. Because it's brass ring was almost completely gone when I took it apart.
FYI this was not the factory transmission had can from a junk yard at some point. After cleaning it noticed the yellow marking paint and old writing on it plus had about 3or4 different color rvt used on it.

Never took something apart that I couldn't get back together very aggravating 😤.

Anything's possible

Have you considered a swap? Won't be a better time to do one

Just a thought

^^^X2

There is a t18 for sale not to fair away from me. Just wasn't sure what that all would involve. Plus was wanting to keep the T-150 seeing how I'm rebuilding the t-case and its linkage.

Not sure what engine you have but putting a t-18 in is not difficult. But lets try the T-150 problem now. Can you post some very detailed pics of you problem?

Here is the spacing washer I'm talking about (I know it's not all the way back I slid it out for picture)and this is how much of a gap I have from it going back together. As well as the clutch shafts brass synchronizer. This the same spaceer that was in it when I took it apart. Also picture of the reverse synchronizer that's very sloppy even after rebuilding it.

I have the transmission back in pieces so I mucked up the pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Hopefully this evening I will reassemble it again and see how it work.

Wife tells me I need to spend some time with her instead of it today 😆

Attachments

• 20220227_121922.jpg
    20220227_121922.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220227_122025.jpg
    20220227_122025.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220227_122037.jpg
    20220227_122037.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220227_122118.jpg
    20220227_122118.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220218_153132.jpg
    20220218_153132.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
"Wife tells me I need to spend some time with her instead of it today"

I'd be reconsidering my earlier life choices.

Well I work anywhere from 12 to 14 hours a day on top of working Saturdays and some Sundays(self employed) . She's not really happy about me having another project because I have so much free time.
Like they say cheaper to keep her😁

There is a t18 for sale not to fair away from me. Just wasn't sure what that all would involve. Plus was wanting to keep the T-150 seeing how I'm rebuilding the t-case and its linkage.
A $400 adapter and an $18 pilot bushing (plus whatever they're asking for the 18)

Rebuild kit runs $200ish (if it even needs one)

Sounds like a lot and it is a decent chunk o' change, but you'd be so much better off in the long run...

BrockGrimes
That's exactly what mine looked like. Do you remember how sloppy the reverse synchronizer was if any. Mine would slide back and forth by just rocking the transmission from end to end.

FYI, If you only have the T-18 transmission. Then I believe you'll need the bellhousing and different driveshafts because the T18 is about 2+" longer than the T-150. You will also need to add a spacer to your skidplate and reposition the skidplate for the longer transmission. If I recall correctly.

I'm going to stick with the T-150. If not I'm going totally off the reservation and putting in one of my chevy top loaders with either a 203 or 205 t-case. Square body GMs is my background and got loads of them. Along with front and rear ends but was trying to keep this one. Cheep easy and stock for once. Till it aggravates me then who know. Might end up with cut down 8 lug axles and a small block.

FYI, If you only have the T-18 transmission. Then I believe you'll need the bellhousing and different driveshafts because the T18 is about 2+" longer than the T-150. You will also need to add a spacer to your skidplate and reposition the skidplate for the longer transmission. If I recall correctly.
That is long as it' a Jeep 18

I'm going to stick with the T-150. If not I'm going totally off the reservation and putting in one of my chevy top loaders with either a 203 or 205 t-case. Square body GMs is my background and got loads of them. Along with front and rear ends but was trying to keep this one. Cheep easy and stock for once. Till it aggravates me then who know. Might end up with cut down 8 lug axles and a small block.
We talked... We will get you through the T-150

Reassembly can be a little fiddley but once it's rebuilt it's good to go. Can't beat good heavy metal gear driven trans and t-case. I ran mine in a 78 with 33x14.50 super swampers and that thing would go anywhere, rarely did I use 4wd even when the snow was bumper deep, LOL.

I can see it.
Something isn't right and I don't know what it is right now. I'm going to put it back together tomorrow with the worn out brass ring on the clutch shaft tomorrow and see if that let's it all go back together. If so then I'm ordering a new clutch shaft and new complete synchronizers.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks