T-150 blown up

T-150 blown up

DADSOLDCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5, 4.2 I6, T150
The 258 for my '76 CJ5 is almost finished and I just a call from the transmission guy saying that the original T-150 is grenaded. On top of that, they can't find any parts to rebuild it. He's saying that the only replacement T-150 he can find is in Arizona for $1200. Can this really be? Both axles have already been rebuilt also. Are there any other tranys that will work with the transfer case and axles? Or am I better off just trying to swallow that $1200 pill, for hopefully a lil less?

Keep looking. There's a big Jeep place in Lima, OH (maybe North Lima). Randy's?

Where are you located? They go for around $150-$200 around here also.

Another T-150 will be your easiest and cheapest route. There are other transmission that will work but they will require me time and money to install.

Www.novak-adapt.com has a lot of good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any CJ clubs in your area that you can contact for info?
LG

Your transmission guy is looking for the short easy money. Parts for the 150 are definitely available, used transmissions are also available. Shipping might kill the deal though. So, tell us, what grenade in the 150?

I live in nw Indiana and there are a couple clubs in the area, I did put the feelers out there too, not a lot of help there. I'm not sure what took out the T-150, this was my dad's jeep, and when he passed away he left to me. Since it was a such an iconic part of him and my childhood I'm trying to at least get it back on the road. He did a mild rebuild on it about 10 years ago, really he just swapped the tub to a fiberglass one he came across, made it a little pretty and rocked everything else as is. The trans always the issue of popping out of reverse and and if you got it into 1st you had a hell of time getting it out. I spent all last summer swapping out the frame, TDK, and suspension. The motor, 258, was still running but when I replaced the rear main, I saw the crank bearings were straight copper. So it went to a buddy engine rebuilder that was supposed to have it done in a month, now 8 months later it's almost finished. I put the trans in a shop about a month ago figuring it needed new forks or something, then find out it's not rebuildable. So it has been an uphill battle for sure, but it's getting there.

Also, on another note. The awesome parts place you guys spoke of, Rudy's. He really only deals in wide track CJ's, he said 83 and up. He did not have a good trans. But he did point me to a place in PA, Stork's, that apparently has a rebuilt one for 800 bones. So I'm on to sniff out that lead. thanks again guys.

T-150's most certainly are rebuild able, that is not necessarily the case with an SR4, another 4 speed that most definitely has the same troubles you describe. If you are willing to pay shipping, try Willys Works here in Tucson (520) 888-5082. Last I knew Rob had a T-150 and he most certainly can rebuild one if that is what you need.

Also, on another note. The awesome parts place you guys spoke of, Rudy's. He really only deals in wide track CJ's, he said 83 and up. He did not have a good trans. But he did point me to a place in PA, Stork's, that apparently has a rebuilt one for 800 bones. So I'm on to sniff out that lead. thanks again guys.

Someone on the Facebook CJ5 page recommended Storks.

DO NOT spend $1200 on a T-150! You can rebuild the one you have or have it rebuilt. You should be able to find a T-150 from $100 to $250 depending on condition. I can't understand how a T-150 grenaded behind a 258 inline six...... but there are parts out there.

A good safe source for me has been facebook marketplace. A little more risky is craigslist of course. Then there is ebay. Put an ISO (in search of) on facebook and craigslist and see what pops up. But you should be able to get parts for a T-150.

You can swap to a better trans but the swap will cost you an adapter kit, which involves possibly tearing down that trans anyways to install the output shaft that is part of the kit. It may or may not lengthen or shorten the drivetrain overall and that requires your driveshafts to be cut or lengthened or have new shafts made. It also may involve modifying the crossmember to relocate the trans mount. But you would have a bulletproof trans as a result. Too bad as I sold a T18 with the Dana 20 transfercase still attached about 4 months ago. If my trans swap goes as planned this winter I will have a T-150 with Dana 20 transfercase available over the winter. Both will need gone through and seals. I live in western Missouri. If you're still looking by then, let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. I did call Stork's and they had a freshly rebuilt one, I just bit the bullet and bought it. I got the old one back from the mech and it was pretty bad. As the saying goes, Can't find it, Grind it!! It was BAD. But the word grenaded wasn't the right word. It was all just very worn out. Transfer case is in great condition tho, I thought it was gonna at least need a rebuild since my dad never even had a front driveshaft in the damn thing. But it looks great! I'm still waiting on the engine, but now I see I have a ton of work to do on the fiberglass body. The wood under the seats is rotted gone. So I guess exploratory surgery it is!!! LOL.

Wrong! The T-150 wasn’t the best transmission ever built but it wasn’t that bad either. I can’t imagine one self destructing to the point where it can’t be rebuilt... especially behind a 258!
As for no parts being available... how many sources do you want! Last time I bought a master kit for one I got it from Novack for about $125! They ALWAYS have parts in stock!
“Rob” in Tucson (520-888-5082) likely has one and I know for a fact Julie in Glendale (800-882-5337) has a freshly rebuilt one! I nearly tripped over it last time I was in the back.
#1 GET YOUR OLD TRANSMISSION BACK! The core is worth the price of a used one!
#2 GET A SECOND OPINION.
My gut feeling is this guy is trying to stick it to you. Make a surprise visit, ask to see what he is talking about... take pics! AND PICK UP YOUR TRANSMISSION! If he bitches, tell him you need it for a core to get him a replacement to put in.
Rebuilding a manual 3 speed isn’t rocket science. The typical “shadetree mechanic” can easily do it even if he’s never seen the inside of a transmission before! Novack provides excellent instructions with every kit... or just for the asking. Awesome company!
Rob & Julie won’t feed you a line of bs either. They are both as honest as the longest day is long! Anything they tell you about Jeeps or Jeep parts is 100% fact! Good people!

The 258 for my '76 CJ5 is almost finished and I just a call from the transmission guy saying that the original T-150 is grenaded. On top of that, they can't find any parts to rebuild it. He's saying that the only replacement T-150 he can find is in Arizona for $1200. Can this really be? Both axles have already been rebuilt also. Are there any other tranys that will work with the transfer case and axles? Or am I better off just trying to swallow that $1200 pill, for hopefully a lil less?

I just had a thought... a fresh 150 does indeed get into the $1,100-$1,200 price range with a $500 core. (I have no idea why!) but I’ve been quoted that myself... just before laughing and walking away.
Before you make any reflex moves, consider this.... for less you could put in a T18 4 speed. The “granny” first gear can’t be beat for the trail.
So... if it’s going to cost you to get this thing going, consider having the best. I’ll bet you save $ doing it too.

So, I got the 150 back from the shop. It's deff looks worn out and rebuild-able. I think the shop really just didn't want to mess with it, they must be content repairing autos in late models... they also went thru the transfer case and didn't charge me anything. as stated before i did find a rebuilt one for $800 bucks and one for $700 a lot further away. paid a $200 core, no where near 1200/500.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks