Synthetic Winch Rope

Steel will far outlast Syn, and take way more abuse.
I'm still run'n the same steel cable(5/16"X150')on my Warn 8274, that it came with. I bought this winch in 1977.
The lighter weight of syn rope is not worth the trade off, in the real world.
LG

Good points Lumpy, and with the steel cable you better keep your distance and eyes opened when it is under load.

Agreed-Also be sure your hook and attachment points are up to the task. I have seen both fail over the years.
I make sure a jacket or blanket etc is on the cable, with any real load type pull.
LG

Steel will far outlast Syn, and take way more abuse.
I'm still run'n the same steel cable(5/16"X150')on my Warn 8274, that it came with. I bought this winch in 1977.
The lighter weight of syn rope is not worth the trade off, in the real world.
LG

I'd normally agree, but as a half cripple who has to walk with a cane, running out a synthetic line has to be easier than steel cable. I'm gonna try the new lightweight stuff, knowing my steel cable will still be good if I need to put it back on years later.

I truly understand that point, and agree in your choice of using syn.:notworthy:
Just keep it clean and dry. If you get it dirty-Hose off and re-reel after drying.
LG

Also be sure your hook and attachment points are up to the task. I have seen both fail over the years.
I make sure a jacket or blanket etc is on the cable, with any real load type pull.
Definitely.

If you're switching from wire to syn-rope, I'd recommend changing out your fairlead/hause. Wire can abrade, causing sharp areas, which will damage the new (and expensive) syn-rope.

There is also a big debate on whether or not you can run a roller fairlead with syn-rope. I'm not going to start one here, but put in some internet time, and see the pro/con.

That being said, I am contemplating using syn-rope on my spare 8274. But it will be mounted in a portable carrier. I am mainly concerned about reducing weight in that application. The 8274 on the front of my CJ5 has the OEM steel wire-rope.

Definitely.

If you're switching from wire to syn-rope, I'd recommend changing out your fairlead/hause. Wire can abrade, causing sharp areas, which will damage the new (and expensive) syn-rope.

There is also a big debate on whether or not you can run a roller fairlead with syn-rope. I'm not going to start one here, but put in some internet time, and see the pro/con.

That being said, I am contemplating using syn-rope on my spare 8274. But it will be mounted in a portable carrier. I am mainly concerned about reducing weight in that application. The 8274 on the front of my CJ5 has the OEM steel wire-rope.

You have a "spare" 8274? I think I hate you...:chug:

I like the idea of a multi-mount 8274 a lot. I want to see a thread on this.

I've pulled a lot of winch line in my days. I switched to synthetic line 3 years ago and I'm still using that original line.
Not only will I never put a steel line on my rig again, I will never work around anyone else's rig who has a steel line.
I could go into the negatives and positives of both types of lines but the only one I care to mention is a steel line breaking under load caught a friend of mine across the back of his thigh and sliced through his hamstring muscles to the bone. Almost lost his leg and will never walk normally again.
He was standing off to the rear driver side of the vehicle that was winching. There is no safe position with steel line except for being further away from the winch than there is line out.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I can understand how you feel.:notworthy:
At one time in my life, I drove commercial wrecker/recovery vehicles that haul'd semi-trucks. We never had a cable fail(1/2"& 5/8" wire 'rope':D). BUT-we inspected them constantly and replaced when in doubt. Syn rope was not an option, as it can't handle be'n dragged over rocks and such without fraying. The same conditions you'll see when jeep'n. Steel cable is far cheaper too.
We work'd that cable hard such as dragging a rolled over semi up a 200' embankment etc. We did lot of roll over recovery.
FWIW: I have seen only 1 syn rope break. It was weakened from UV over a period of 2 yrs from sitting outside in the desert Sun. Don't know the maker of that rope. I was blue in color. The Jeeps owner bought it when the syn ropes were just coming out on the market, many years ago.
LG

Lumpy grits,
Don't get me wrong, there is a slight price penalty with syn rope but my legs, life and livelihood are far too important to worry about a couple hundred dollars amortized over 3 years to even consider steel line. It's necessary to take care of the rope and be sure to use sleeves when it's getting dragged across rocks, but even if it breaks you re-tie it and keep going. Now you're rope is just a little Shorter.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Old fire hose(1 1/2")makes a great sleeve for syn rope. ;)
LG

^^^ Good idea. Gonna have to check out the fire dpt.

This is for my 17 yr. old grandson who has never used or been around a winch which is not on a boat trailer. So for safety and until he get some experience I think synthetic maybe the best bet. Thanks to everyone for the information.
Cecil

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks