sways and draglink

anybody found any good sway bar setups for older cj5s photos would be awsome:D

:)The sway bars off the later 76-81 narrow trac CJ5's will fit as far as width is concerned on your early 1960's vintage CJ5 and CJ-3's. Same frame width and spring pad width. Doing a Dana 30 axle switch at the same time gives you a little more room to attach the sway bar links to the axle. On some years the stock brackets can be modified to work on the early frames.
Here is a few photo's of a 1981 sway bar on a 1965 CJ5 done while I was installing power steering. Part of the sway bar mount was incorporated into the crossmember..........takes a little time to lay it out and build the brackets and get the proper starting orientation angle for the sway bar.221.jpg

438.jpg

:D:D:D:D

i appreciate the pictures that will help with brackets but looking for a super heavy sway maybe someting of a one ton really want to try to get rid of the body roll to keep it straight in the pit

i appreciate the pictures that will help with brackets but looking for a super heavy sway maybe someting of a one ton really want to try to get rid of the body roll to keep it straight in the pit

:)One ton sway bars coming off of pickup trucks and such have a lot wider axles under them.........
In either case you need to find something that is compatible in width in order to make it work..............notwithstanding the fact that using a large 1.250" or greater diameter bar may make your suspension so stiff that it hardly works.
The sway bar is merely a tuning tool to add to an already good suspension........
You may want to correct or address some of your body roll first.
You have not mentioned what year Jeep or Axles you have?

stock axles

if one tons are used they would be cut down and arms welded to the end like the aftermarket kits

stock axles

if one tons are used they would be cut down and arms welded to the end like the aftermarket kits

:)Zack...........not sure I understand what talking about? If you have a method I'm all ears.

All of these sway / torsion bars are heat treated / tempered steel..........like a spring.
Cutting and trying to weld to one would be tough process unless your prepared to first anneal it do your fab and weld and then go back through the heat treat process.........even then you still run the risk of breakage at the weld zone.............cutting and doing a spline to attach the arms is possible but neither are cost effective!

on our race truck we used spring steel cut it to length build cams for the ends and bolt thru the spring steel rod

thinking of doing the same on the jeep but would not be able to cut the ends of the sway bar due to having to ride in the bushings because you would have to run the cams inside the frame instead of outside the frame

on the truck we used 1.75 outside diameter but its 900 horse and launching at 7200 rpm

on our race truck we used spring steel cut it to length build cams for the ends and bolt thru the spring steel rod

thinking of doing the same on the jeep but would not be able to cut the ends of the sway bar due to having to ride in the bushings because you would have to run the cams inside the frame instead of outside the frame

on the truck we used 1.75 outside diameter but its 900 horse and launching at 7200 rpm

:)Well........ if your in to racing why not just buy a sprint car type torsion bar thats splined on both ends & cut it to length? Built the arms, could be mounted either inboard or outboard by machining off the cut spline on the shaft wherever your bushings need to go, you can run it a little loose or with some preload.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks