Suggestion for polishing stock aluminum rocker guards?

Suggestion for polishing stock aluminum rocker guards?

RVA CJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 98% restored
I6 258 31 BFG ATs
restored to mostly stock!
AMC 20 rear
Borg Warner T-18 4spd trans
The P.O. Attempted to polish the stock aluminum rocker guards off my Laredo. The swirls are pretty good. I will need to strip off the existing paint and then lightly sand, then polish. Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing? I'm just looking for some suggestions to avoid pitfalls. I can post pics if needed. Worse comes to worse, I'll have the powder coated or even chromed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on HDForums they talked about cleaning the swirl marks with some house hold products but for the life of me I can not find that post where they mention it, but they all like thee miguers power ball :chug: im about to find out in a few days with my lower forks on my harley :chug:

The P.O. Attempted to polish the stock aluminum rocker guards off my Laredo. The swirls are pretty good. I will need to strip off the existing paint and then lightly sand, then polish. Has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing? I'm just looking for some suggestions to avoid pitfalls. I can post pics if needed. Worse comes to worse, I'll have the powder coated or even chromed. Thanks!

:)Polishing aluminum is a tricky business if you want a nice mirror finish......swirls marks and burns in the aluminum is always the sign of an amateur using the wrong compound, speed & feed and wheel direction.......If they absolutely need to be 100% take them to a professional polisher.......... Chroming aluminum can be done but only on certain types and not an easy process.........common Betty Crocker flour works as a mild compound to take out very fine scratches...........
:D:D:D:D

I get results that surprise me, working the aluminum on dash and body armor, by hand-polishing with White Diamond from O'Reilly's.

Thanks guys! I'm going to give it a shot myself first! Nothing ventured...and all!

If you cannot get the finish you desire, look at 3m products. They have multi stage kits which include the appropriate pads and polishes. The kit im thinking of has 3" pads with an adapter (hookit) that fits either an electric or bat powered drill . Honestly it is very easy... The thing to know here is wet the pad ,spin dry and use light pressure. Let the pad/polish do the work.. Swirls come from pressure and dryness. If you dont have access to a 3m rep (jobber) go to oreileys. Also to save time and money use the stage one and go easy,its really all you need..

I've polished a lot of motorcycle parts. I start with 220 wet sand paper to get the imperfections out. Then go to 400/800/or 1200, and end up with 1500. It's alot of hand work.

Then I use an air die grinder usually with the pressure turned down to 40/60 psi, and some 3 inch white cloth buffs and a stick of white jewelers rouge. I get the buffs, the pilot to hold them and the rouge at Eastwoods.

Comes out like chrome. Very time consuming though.

I've polished a lot of motorcycle parts. I start with 220 wet sand paper to get the imperfections out. Then go to 400/800/or 1200, and end up with 1500. It's alot of hand work.

Then I use an air die grinder usually with the pressure turned down to 40/60 psi, and some 3 inch white cloth buffs and a stick of white jewelers rouge. I get the buffs, the pilot to hold them and the rouge at Eastwoods.

Comes out like chrome. Very time consuming though.

Yup.
I help a friend from time to time who has a polishing and deburring business. We start with 220 on rough stuff but usually we start with 400 grit on DA sanders followed with 800 and 1500 and then off to a hard wheel followed by a loose cotton buff.
It is a ton of work.
You can get good results with a 3M foam pad and Simichrome or similar followed with a cotton buff. Wax it when your done, twice.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks