Stock Ring and Pinion carrier question

Stock Ring and Pinion carrier question

JeeperChris

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ5, 258 I6, T150 w/Dana20, Dana30 front and AMC20 rear. My first Jeep! I'm looking forward to doing some minor upgrades and restoration while enjoying the ride.
My 79 CJ5 has the original open 3:54 R+P gearing. Can this carrier accept larger ring gears like a 3:90 or 4:10? Or does it only accept the smaller ones? I don't know where the division line is on the stock parts.

Thanks

Yes you can go taller. I believe the cut off is 3.0.

Thanks RiverandSand.

Another R+P question just came to mind-- Say I get a R+P for my stock carriers, maybe a 4.10 set. If I get some OX lockers later on, will that gear set fit the OX (as long as it's made for the taller gears- I know there's a difference)?

The AMC20 (rear carrier break is 2.72/3.08. The Dana 30 (front) carrier break is 3.54/3.73. So to go lower than 3.54s, you'll need the 3.73+ carrier for the front. You may be able to get thick cut gears that work with the 3.54- carrier, but they are usually quite a bit more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks jp360cj, I was so close.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks