Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7: Renix 4.0 swap.
1969 MGB GT
1974 Capri race car
1970 Lotus Elan
1959 Lambretta
Hey guys,
I have an '86 CJ7 with stock Dana 30 front axle. I decided awhile ago I wanted to re-gear from the stock fuel economy gears to 4.11's and add some traction while I was at it so I bought a second set of wide track axles (AMC20 and Dana 30) and built them so I could just do a simple swap out and minimize the time my jeep was off the road. Rear is in and doing great. I'm in the process of doing the front right now but I noticed the steering knuckles on my original axle have a thicker, beefier looking casting than the ones on the axle I'm going to swap in.

I was just curious if '86 model year had different knuckle castings? Are they a lot stronger and worth pressing my new ball joints into (I've already pressed them into the other knuckles)?
Aside from material thickness at the steering arm, they appear to be identical.

I'll try and grab some pics tonight

Bill

As promised. The Darker knuckle (Left and top) is the original '86 unit and you can see it has a little extra lump of metal on the steering arm portion.

Thats interesting, although I have never really heard of them breaking. I use my oem knuckle on my Dana 44 with 35s and it seems just fine.

So after doing some more digging I found out that in 1986 CJ7's came with these one-year-only heavy duty knuckles which are significantly beefier than the older style. Not that I've ever heard of them breaking, but I couldn't bare leaving a one year only upgrade part off of my jeep, so I switched out the ball joints and slapped them into my original stronger knuckles so they will continue life on my jeep. Probably a lot of unnecessary work.

So after doing some more digging I found out that in 1986 CJ7's came with these one-year-only heavy duty knuckles which are significantly beefier than the older style. Not that I've ever heard of them breaking, but I couldn't bare leaving a one year only upgrade part off of my jeep, so I switched out the ball joints and slapped them into my original stronger knuckles so they will continue life on my jeep. Probably a lot of unnecessary work.

Not unnecessary...... you would think about the lighter knuckles every time you drove, and it would bug you crazy. If there was a heavier one made, I would get it and put it on my Jeep.

That's why the Republic Aircraft Company (F-105) was called "Republic Railroad Engine Company"..... they were tough!

Good call. The knuckls can and do break I am running a 81 cj Dana 30 on my samurai with 33's. I did break mine.

IMG_9352_zpsrmoeu3tx.jpg

IMG_6501_zpsi6askwfs.jpg

20140601_153310_zpsjibgbz4x.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks