Stereo

Stereo
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7, 258 I6, T5, D300, D30, AMC20
Does anyone know how to wire speakers to their amp? I have an aftermarket head unit that I have 4 speakers wired to. I want the rear speakers on the amp so that they are louder than they are right now but I'm just not sure how to wire them without messing up. Do I just run 4 more wires to the speakers from the amp. I tried just running the speakers off the amp and it wouldn't play sound. Thanks!

Our CJ7 came with a Pioneer stereo, 4 speakers, and a Kicker Amp. We don't use the Kicker amp, but all four speakers and volume, balance, fader work properly. Not sure what stereo your have. I was able to download a manual from Crutchfield that has the wiring, with and without using an amp. Our amp had a special connector that plugged in the stereo. Make sure you don't have any of speakers wired backwards, they will work but be out of phase. That pos/neg on the speakers matters. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Does anyone know how to wire speakers to their amp? I have an aftermarket head unit that I have 4 speakers wired to. I want the rear speakers on the amp so that they are louder than they are right now but I'm just not sure how to wire them without messing up. Do I just run 4 more wires to the speakers from the amp. I tried just running the speakers off the amp and it wouldn't play sound. Thanks!

Most amps receive a signal from the head unit via preamp outputs - that means the signal goes to the amp without going they the head unit's built in amp. Mine are in the form of RCA jacks. Here are the preamp outputs on my head unit:

e3e9e68bc311edb562cf7b3fed9d516d.jpg

Here is the harness connector, and then the pin assignment to show what runs thru the harness...

74016db18bad4817dc2faff6ffa7f701.jpg

e97484968a47e7df04746047c7e1255f.jpg

And here is the preamp input connections on the amp:

7d1c02b00e1b15f6af2c688caafaeb92.jpg

And the speaker connections driven by the amp:

daf14e9c9de08f8fad202b0a4378d370.jpg

Last edited:
That was really nice of you to pull your head unit out and take all those pictures. Much better explanation! Our's is set up the same way.

That was really nice of you to pull your head unit out and take all those pictures. Much better explanation! Our's is set up the same way.

Thanks, but I'm not as nice as you think....... I'm still in the process of reassembling the Jeep, and the dash is still sittin in the basement waiting for the Jeep to get painted......

Its your call bud, but having that stuff in your CJ is just going to make you a target for theft. I've got two beat up marine speakers under the dash, and a $10 radio, which nobody is going to steal. Unless you have a hard top/doors, a CJ is not a secured, so its only a matter of time before someone does a slash and grab job at the Walmart parking lot. Just my opinion! :)

Thanks everyone, yeah I'm in the process of getting locks for my top and doors. I have a little $20 radio and some pretty nice sony speakers. After all of the wiring it all worked and I am going to skip using the amp this time round. When I add a sub I'll add the amp.

I don't travel far - and if I leave it in a hostile spot I'll just disconnect the connectors and slide the head unit out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks