stereo systems

stereo systems

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
What doyou have and where did you get it?

I have a clarion deck with an older sentrax amp all mounted into a 50mm ammo can for a console. I am running MTX truck boxes in the back with Alpine 5 1/4 speakers in the dash. Some were bought from Crutchfields and other were from local stereo stores.

What doyou have and where did you get it?

It's not pretty, but it won't get stolen. It came off of my Ram 1500 when I upgrade it to Nav.

DSC00699.jpg

I'm going with the typical stereo in the Tuffy center console and two 6" rounds in the dash (not factory dash). But beyond that, I'm stumped. I want more sound but the CJ (Scrambler) is hardly conducive to hiding components. I'd like to find a place to put a small amp and two 6x9s without some bootleg-lookin' setup. Would love to see what you guys have done.

What's a stereo?
Ive got stereo. It's dual exhaust. One pipe out each side. Sounds nice.

I used to have a CD player that I removed when working on my center console (that's where it was mounted) I never put it back. I used to always have music playing everywhere I went. Now it's nice in a daily driver. Don't need it in my CJ.
;)

I've been a fan of Pioneer's Supertuner radios for 40 years now it seems and they still seem to perform stellar. Concerned with how firm the ride was in 'Black Betty' (felt like she was oversprung) I went with AM/FM cassette (remember those?) DEH something. I was concerned with CD skipping. The cassette worked well until a gremlin sawed off the oil gauge line above the unit, I pulled the cassette unit from the radio chassis in hopes of reviving it but it was kaput.
No worries though as I've been using a little tunecast transmitter hooked up to a portable mp3 player (3Gb) so selectable music is even better than before, and it's so compact it fits in my boonie hat hung from my rearview mirror.
Now, I just gotta re-record the 800+ albums (remember those?) that I had commited to tape back in the 79's and 80's
I have a modest Pyle Marine amp hanging suspended (but secure) under the driver's seat. A pair of 6x9 (remember those?) Pioneer 4 way speaers are secured to my aft locker box and a pair of 5" three ways (remember those....er....NEVERMIND) residing in the front dash. It may not be boom boom boom like some of the kids like but there's more to Led Zeppelin, Boston, James Gang and Steppenwolf than the bottom end anyway. ;)

Last edited:
I've been a fan of Pioneer's Supertuner radios for 40 years now it seems and they still seem to perform stellar. Concerned with how firm the ride was in 'Black Betty' (felt like she was oversprung) I went with AM/FM cassette (remember those?) DEH something. I was concerned with CD skipping. The cassette worked well until a gremlin sawed off the oil gauge line above the unit, I pulled the cassette unit from the radio chassis in hopes of reviving it but it was kaput.
No worries though as I've been using a little tunecast transmitter hooked up to a portable mp3 player (3Gb) so selectable music is even better than before, and it's so compact it fits in my boonie hat hung from my rearview mirror.
Now, I just gotta re-record the 800+ albums (remember those?) that I had commited to tape back in the 79's and 80's
I have a modest Pyle Marine amp hanging suspended (but secure) under the driver's seat. A pair of 6x9 (remember those?) Pioneer 4 way speaers are secured to my aft locker box and a pair of 5" three ways (remember those....er....NEVERMIND) residing in the front dash. It may not be boom boom boom like some of the kids like but there's more to Led Zeppelin, Boston, James Gang and Steppenwolf than the bottom end anyway. ;)

Unbeatablesale.com - Boss MR1560DI Marine CD/MP3 Player - iPod/iPhone Compatible - Single DIN - LED Display - CD-RW - CD-DA, MP3 - FM, AM - 18, 12 x FM, AM Preset - Secure Digital (SD) Card - USB - Auxiliary Input - Detachable Front Panel

this is in my CJ

I like Pioneer also, except for one thing. I want a button that says OFF! Having to press and hold the "source" button is just stupid.

I like Pioneer also, except for one thing. I want a button that says OFF! Having to press and hold the "source" button is just stupid.

I reckon it depends on the model of Pioneer but my old DEH has the trusty rheostat knob that clicks to off

I've decided to find an 8 track player for mine.. I was at a sale recently, and got a whole bag of tapes for a buck (35-40). I'm restoring the AM/8-track in my Charger, so I figured why not the CJ too... I'll hammer out the speaker details later, but I was thinking about a set of paper cone, single coil, quadrafonic Hi-Fi speakers like I had in my '74 AMX, back in the day...:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks