Stereo for CJ-7

Stereo for CJ-7

dmcook

Jeeper
Thanks
My boyfriend has a '78 or '79 CJ7 that needs a new stereo (CD player and speakers). I don't know anything about cars. Can someone please recommend a site/store/product? I want to get this for him for Christmas, so it's a surprise. His Jeep doesn't have a top, so does it need to be waterproof??
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Mine will have a top but I'm gonna put marine grade speakers and stereo in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a sony marine grade sterio in my cj. I bought mine about 3 years ago and haven't had any trouble out of it. I cost about $170 then was only about $15-20 more so I think its worth the extra money. I would also go with marine grade speakers.

I have a sony marine grade sterio in my cj. I bought mine about 3 years ago and haven't had any trouble out of it. I cost about $170 then was only about $15-20 more so I think its worth the extra money. I would also go with marine grade speakers.

Do you have the model or a pic? I haven't looked into the types yet but keeping my eye open

Is the stereo going to be in the dash? Mine is in the console so it is pretty well protected from the elements when it rains. The rain killed one in my prior YJ once. I don't buy expensive stereos for my Jeep. And have crappy speakers. But try crutchfield.com. Great customer service. Call them and they will get you everything you need.

I've thought about using an ammo box as a console and put the radio in there. Then have an aux cable come out to plug in to my iPhone and then I have my cd player that doesn't skip, but I thought about looking for one of the radios that use the sd card to put the music on too. But I still want a cable for my iPhone. And I can have it locked up :)

I thought about the ammo can as well, but found the ivault with the stereo included on CL for a great deal. It is the one from the Q-tec catalog with the kenwood stereo. And having it play the iphone is a huge bonus. I don't think I have ever played a CD.

Well something like that you can't pass up. There's a guy on here that had a thread about sending ammo boxes out, something about you just pay the shipping and the box is free. I PM'd him but haven't heard anything. (do you what I'm talking about, or am I just crazy)

I never saw that. But the ammo cans around here can be found pretty inexpensively on CL and local forums.

I just want to say you are a good girlfriend and he is a lucky guy. :chug:
Go with a Marine grade like other people have said it will hold up the best in a Jeep with no top.

A post just reminded me of something i'd like to do for the guys on this forum as a thank you for all the help through my build.

I'm in the Navy and have access to ammo cans. I'm mounting a 20mm one on my CJ5 as storage. I've seen these on many jeeps and off road vehicles as they are rugged, waterproof(resistant might be a better term), and look cool as :dung:. If anyone is interested, please let me know, would just ask that yall pay the shipping.

There are 3 sizes, 20mm, 50 cal, and small arms (7.62/5.56/9mm). I'll try to get a picture of all 3 if anyone is interested.

This from justinfonder. ?

I recently installed a $100 Pyle marine stereo with a removable face that accepts USB and SD cards (no cd's). It's shorter in length than a regular stereo so it doesn't touch the heating duct behind it. And it only weighs about a pound so it's easy to mount and stay put. I'm pleased with it. Found it on Amazon and ebay.

Can you give us the model number of that Pyle stereo? thanks

I copied the link below from ebay ($83 with free shipping).

New Pyle PLMR17BTB in Dash Marine Boat Radio SD USB Player Wireless Bluetooth 068889034493 | eBay

You'll find the same stereo and others like it on Amazon- where you can read reviews and see other stereos like it.

Just to note: I purchased a cheaper marine stereo for the likelihood that it could be stolen. There are better ones, but I do like this one and I'm surprised that I did. Good luck!

Also, I try to buy my Jeep stuff from jeep4x4center.com, where you can receive a 10% discount with the promo code "XXXXXX"- for being a member of this forum. Their service is excellent. Shipping is very fast and they're always helpful.

Edit by CJ - Promo codes are only for members use.

I'm typically a high fidelity guy, I don't need thumping bass or loud distortion music. But this time I'm looking more for a decent sounding head unit that fits a Jeep dash and has a usb port, to replace my 28 year old Kenwood. I thought maybe you found one that fit the dash but you must have mounted it under it. Have you came across one that fits the dash? I've seen that retro one but it doesn't have a usb port.

Do you have the model or a pic? I haven't looked into the types yet but keeping my eye open

It's a Sony cdx-r30m its a detachable face mp3, xm siris capable. Mine is silver and grey. 52w x 4 if that helps.:)

Last edited:
Yes Gator, that's the one I'm talking about. Although I never noticed this "* Plays Mp3, WMA, files via remote mountable USB & SD card reader (.5 meter cable)"
I thought the usb port was on the back. I want to be able to use a thumb drive but I like that remote mounting cable on this.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks