Trans GM SM 420
First Gear ....... 7.05
Second Gear ... 3.57
Third Gear ...... 1.70
Fourth Gear ... Direct

Dana T-case (twin stick)

1970 Glass dune buggy. Short pan 1600
2008 Chevy HHR SS
Thought I would share this as I had a hard time finding a solution. It was a problem with my 1999 Chevy Tahoe. I had talked to a few mechanics about it and had some work done on it but no one identified the actual problem. Everyone wanted to look at the front end, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, power steering pump, stuff like that.

The symptoms were loose steering for one, but the biggest issue was when making right hand high speed turns, like getting on at an on ramp or mountain driving. While in the corner the wheel would do slack, that is the best way I can describe it. It would jerk slightly to the right. Not so much the tires turning but the steering wheel going soft.

As it turns out the steering speed sensor appears to have gone bad. I have replaced it and have not had the problem again but it didn't happen every time so only time will tell. The looseness is gone for sure, but we will see about the other. When i started calling around to find the part locally no one even knew what it was.

It looks like this and goes on the steering column. It controls the steering at high speed reducing the power assist.

Anyway, i think it is fixed so thought i would share. It is a quick fix, under an hour, and about $40.00.

Troy--
Steering rehab- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4106
Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

Last edited:
Interesting, gotta love modern technology. So how did you come to guess or conclude that it was the problem?

Well I gave up on the mechanics and started looking at it myself. I checked for play everywhere i could and no play anywhere so i started googling.

Mostly it pointed at same mechanical issues but I finally got the right search terms, it wasn't so much loose as it was the issue where it jerked. Finally found a thread on a chevy forum that described the same issues so gave it a go.

I got it out today and it does seem like it fixes the issue.

So much for going to someone who works on vehicles every day to solve your issues, and paying the money that they charge. Great to have the internet and the people who share to discuss this stuff.

Yeah pretty disappointing. Ran into a similar issue with my HHR. Started leaking so took it in to the dealer.

They had it for two days and couldn't find the leak but wanted to replace the rear hatch seal when it was leaking from the side.

After I went off on the guy a picked it up and had them leave it all taken apart. I found the leak myself it 15 minutes.

Took an hour to fix and another hour to put it all back together. And a couple days to dry out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks