Steering coupler question

Steering coupler question

dr3amline

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 258 2bbl everything stock except wheels 33/12.50/15
Could someone tell me if the bearings in the coupler go bad or the whole housing and bearings. Also, should the steering shaft be tight in the coupler?? refer to pic TIA. trying to save some money in these hard times :(

most of the time just the "bearing" goes bad.

thank you for your input. i will be taking the shaft out today and i ordered a boot/bearing kit for it hope its a relatively easy job replacing the bearings.

I'm gonna say the steering coupler bearings aren't spose to look like this LOL. Would this make my steering sloppy? i also just replaced my steering gear

I put the kit on mine because mine were totally bad. Tightened up the steering alot and wasnt that hard of an install. The easiest way was to take the whole steering box loose and work it in that way.. I did it by myself and used a rope to hold it up I would recruit help if possible first

i have like 30 degrees of slop either way lol hope it helps

i have to do this as well, just waiting for some warmer weather in Montana. Keep us posted with tips, tricks and pics if possible. I'll do the same.

did u guys see the pics of the old bearings?? the one wore its way all the way through. but no one has answered my question will the trashed bearings cause a 30 degree slop in my steering?

Just looking at the bearing that failed - punched out, was most likely caused by excessive body twist forcing the steering shaft into the bottom of the coupler. I've done just that. Broken or missing body mounts.

As far as the 30deg. My guess there are several things going on that add up to 30 deg. Not just the broken bearing. But that will help. Probally don't really need the whole kit, only the block and spreader spring.

Check only the steering up to the steering box. Have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth without moving the pitman arm. Look at upper steering shaft u-joint. Excessive backlash in the steering box. Worn out tie rod ends.

Don't know what Jeep you're running - nothing in your profile, but the above is assuming a CJ5 or CJ7.

Its a 1979 jeep CJ7 quadratrac 258 2BBL i have replaced the tie rod ends the steering gear and now i will replace the bearings hope this will help? maybe the whole new shaft? I'm at a loss:confused:

welp i changed the lower steering coupler bearings and still have alot of slop i know that the tie rod ends were replaced and a front end alignment 4 years ago when i drove from Va to WI where a month after i got there it sat for about 4 years. i jacked it up and wiggled the wheels which are 33 inch with no lift or a 1 inch body lift there was a little play left to right when i wiggled the wheels but none up and down the sway bar bushings are shot but i dont know if that would do anything to cause the slop i have any other suggestions?

oops posted that already
progress.gif

what is the orientation of the bearing spring clip inside the coupler. Trying to rebuild mine and cant seems to get it back together with the spring.

what is the orientation of the bearing spring clip inside the coupler. Trying to rebuild mine and cant seems to get it back together with the spring.

There really is only 1 way to put it together correctly.
You put the two "bearings" on the "nipples" of the steering shaft. Then the clip slides over them, keeping them in place. I dont know if it was the correct thing to do, but I then packed as much bearing grease in the bell coupler as I could get, then slid it over the shaft with the bearings and clip on it. Putting that damn spring clip in, without damaging the boot was a fun task though.

good luck. its pretty easy though

Its a 1979 jeep CJ7 quadratrac 258 2BBL i have replaced the tie rod ends the steering gear and now i will replace the bearings hope this will help? maybe the whole new shaft? I'm at a loss:confused:

I just saw the pic of the bearings and WOW...yup those were definitely past their usefulness...

Since you replaced the steering box and tie rod ends, have you looked at the drag link? Or did you replace the ends on it as well?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks