Steering column rebuild thread

Steering column rebuild thread

Idahododgeram

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5, AMC 360, T150, D20, D44.
I have a rare day off today and thought I'd put my steering column back together. I had a thread book marked that went through the whole dis/reassembly process but my bookmarks are gone. Does anyone recollect a thread on steering reassembly. Might have been on another site, but I can't find it.

Any help is appreciated.

there are lots of videos on youtube. I just rebuilt my tilt auto coulum and used a long one I found that was very detailed.

I also went through YouTube and the FSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'm almost there. I think I'm missing the upper bearing inner race and preload cup. It looks like this. When I took my column apart it didn't have one so I'm wondering if I need one. Any ideas?

Sorry, I can't get the pic to upload. It's the cup that slides over the upper steering column shaft and rests against the upper bearing. It looks like it keeps the preload spring from sitting on the upper bearing. Like I said, mine didn't have one so maybe I don't need it?

My guess is a PO left it off because it doesn't go on like you'd think. The solid end goes up and the slots go towards the upper bearing (down that is). It actually fits inside the upper bearing race.

I just screwed mine up last week, the lower bearing wasn't seated and I spent half a day trying to figure out where I lost 1/16" to get the retainer clip on. As you're putting it back together, put the wheel on loosely and spin it a few times by hand after each step.

FYI, if you ever need a bearing ($53 apiece new!), just walk around the local junk yard and find a GM column that someone pulled the wheel off but left everything else. You can pluck the top bearing out and use a magnet to grab the balls.

Thanks Dave, I have everything I need and it's all back together up to this step. I honestly thought I wouldn't get this far on re-assembly of the column as I took it apart almost a year ago. I was ready to go the Flaming River rout but I'm so close to complete I really don't want to throw $500+ at the problem.

Hey guys. I am new here and probably not the place to ask this but I didn't know how to start a new thread. 79 CJ5. Changing the ignition switch and pulled the old one out not paying attention to the rod. Now I have the new switch but the rod seems to stick straight upright, and the switch when mounted would be about 30 - 45 degrees. It seems like I would have to twist the end of the rod to slide it in position and that binding doesn't seem right. Am I missing something? John PS - It has tilt wheel and original column.

Turn the switch around (or maybe it's flip it over). The rod can't flip, it's anchored at the top of the column.

After a number of assembly...disassembly...assembly and pounding my head into the wall I finally got my column done. Ends up I didn't need the stupid $30 bearing retainer after all. I have one if anyone needs it. Send me a PM and it's yours.

Sunday I actually fired up my Jeep for the first time in over a year. I still have a ton to do but it's getting there. Out of the entire rebuild the steering column was the biggest PITA.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome.

I thought I had the column nailed but after finishing up some wiring I don't have any turn signals. The turn signal switch is new as is the Painless harness. I'm not really sure what is wrong but the frustration continues.

Oh boy that does suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you forget the turn signal lever? That's been my nemesis more than a few times. I usually realize it as I'm popping the horn button back on...

If you want to come cut my floor apart to get out the broken bolt for the body mount, and weld it back up, I'll fix your turn signals :-)

Do the hazard lights work? If so, the left and right wiring are OK (factory green, and green/trace), and your problem is between the fuse panel and the switch.

Do all of the wires in the connector match up position wise?
Check the obvious like blown fuse, flasher relay fell out...

Since neither works, that implies a common wire.
Circuit 74, Red w/trace, 4th pin from the end. That provides fused 12V to the signal lights.
Circuit 39, Pink, 5th from the end. That's also listed in my manual as feeding the signals. One may be hazard (prob. pink), and one turn signal (prob red).

GL
Dave

Last edited:
Dave, if I could I would gladly trade body mounts for electrical. Wiring has never been my strong suite (I'm a finish carpenter by trade). There are several bright sides to my issue/s. I am learning and I can also say I will be better off on the trail knowing what everything does and where it goes.

On that note, I think my blinker issue is related to running LED tail lights. I ordered a no load blinker relay and I'll see if that works. It's weird though. The PO had LED rear tail lights and stock fronts and there were no problems. I even switched out the Painless relay for the old one with no luck.

Ahhhhh....Jeeps! :)

It's a deal. I just figured out that all of my body panels are falling off because a PO used caulking to hold them together instead of welding or even rivets. It looks like the firewall, front floor pans and the rear floor are original. The sides, corners, wheel wells, and rear panel are all caulked on.

You're right on about the leds. The old flashers need a lot of current to get hot, then open and cool and close, and so on. The leds don't draw enough current to trip the thermal switch. That's why you can buy a "load resistor", it draws enough power to make the flasher work. Crude but simple - they last forever, no electronics.

A little update. I am still waiting for my "NO LOAD" turn relay. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Today was kind of a big day since I drove my Jeep for the first time in over a year and a half. Nothing caught fire and no fluids were puking out underneath. I currently have the rear turn relay out waiting on the new one. What's weird (to me) is now when I hit the brake pedal the passenger front turn signal lights up as if it's a brake light. I'm hoping this is a cause of not having the relay installed right now.

Ohhhhhh Jeeps.

A little update. I am still waiting for my "NO LOAD" turn relay. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Nothing caught fire and no fluids were puking out underneath.

Ohhhhhh Jeeps.
Wait a minute! No fluids leaking out underneath? Are you sure that you have a CJ?? :poke::D

Wait a minute! No fluids leaking out underneath? Are you sure that you have a CJ?? :poke::D

Maybe, this is a dream he's hav'n........:laugh: :poke:
LG

No, guys. It's not a dream. But trust me, I was as shocked as you.

I installed the no load resistor yesterday but still not working. If I push the turn signal lever towards the floor and up (like I'm turning right) I get a little bit of blink. It looks like the upper portion of the column comes apart today. It has to be in the signal switch or in the interface between the harness connector and switch connector. BTW, after changing the relay I still get passenger front turn signal coming on steady when I hit the brakes.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took column apart so I could see what was going on with the switch and lo and behold the hazard switch was partially engaged. I don't have the actual hazard button (anyone know where I can get one?) and sometime during assembly I must had partially depressed it. I think this might be the end of it.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks