Electrical Steering column components

Electrical Steering column components

Patrick

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30

68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction
I need to replace that tiny rack and pinion mechanism in the steering column. It’s the one that moves the rod for the ignition switch. It skipped a tooth and is worn out. I can’t crank the vehicle. Thankfully I was able to push start last night while getting groceries. Does anyone know where I can find it brand new…

Thanks

Attachments

• EA14EB3C-3C4D-4D29-ACFB-9FE4E3144E62.jpeg
    EA14EB3C-3C4D-4D29-ACFB-9FE4E3144E62.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 10
CJ, I have the stock column. The one in the picture is my actual one, full of hairs and all. That is the exact part in question. Appreciate, sir.

TSB8C, that’d be nice. Unfortunately, I have a manual transmission and I rely more on gear engagement than the hand brake when parked. I also like the stock locking steering wheel. I hope you used all necessary measures to avoid a runaway situation. What if you need to start your vehicle while still in motion… I would like to know the logic of safety for a remote start system.

So as to safety, to start with I do have an auto transmission. So it's in PARK when I stop. My "American Shifter" also has a neutral safety switch that prevents the starter from engaging except in PARK or NEUTRAL. The kit I used also does have a safety feature that you can not accidentally stop it while moving. You must have your foot on the brake to hit the button and kill the engine. I also previously removed my steering wheel lock since I periodically tow the Jeep behind my truck from time to time. But I also plan to replace my column with one that has tilt and no ignition lock, and I needed the push button start in place before I could replace the column. I don't know how people have a remote start with a manual tranny. But a push button start would still work since you have to be in the seat, pressing the brake pedal, before hitting the button to start it. So if you have a neutral switch on your shifter or built into the tranny, that would also require you to shift into neutral before starting as well. My kit has both push button start and also remote start (and an alarm). But there are kits for push button start only without the remote start feature.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks