Steering Column Bearings

Steering Column Bearings

Spduffee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 AMC 304, D20, T150, D30
Hi All,
Does anyone know where to buy the plastic bearings for a '78 CJ5, or a suitable alternative? One of mine fell to pieces and I can't find a replacement. There is a used one, not two, for $35 on Ebay....The ones that show up on a search for GM bearings look like a bearing should, but not like mine.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Aside from that, has anyone installed one of the Summit Helix steering columns in a CJ5? Or any other decent priced column?
Thanks,
Shawn

Quadratec has a bearing kit listed but its from Crown. There was thread awhile back on this topic and bearings were made here in the US, but I can't find it.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the "kit" that's floating around. I went to four different places today, including my favorite mötorhead shop 20mi away. No one had it or was able to do anything but what I can do at home, which is search online...sigh. We'll see. I will try it out, and if it installs correctly I will share my experience.

Try this company to see if they make your bearing replacement. Wolff Engineering out of Needville Texas. I know they make some

Thank you. I like their stuff (Wolff Engineering) and they have a nice replacement for the sector/intermediate shaft bearing, so they may have the upper ones as well.
I ended up removing the whole thing and see it is 32", so the Summit Helix universal may be an option at $191. I am about half way there already with all the stuff I have replaced in this old column....
I can see that without discipline one can easily end up with an eternal project. I thought about, since the column is out, tearing out the bracket that holds the column and pedals, to clean it up. Luckily I told myself NO...focus...focus...get her back on the road asap, live to fight [with my wife] another day....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom