Steering Column Bearings

Steering Column Bearings

Spduffee

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 AMC 304, D20, T150, D30
Hi All,
Does anyone know where to buy the plastic bearings for a '78 CJ5, or a suitable alternative? One of mine fell to pieces and I can't find a replacement. There is a used one, not two, for $35 on Ebay....The ones that show up on a search for GM bearings look like a bearing should, but not like mine.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Aside from that, has anyone installed one of the Summit Helix steering columns in a CJ5? Or any other decent priced column?
Thanks,
Shawn

Quadratec has a bearing kit listed but its from Crown. There was thread awhile back on this topic and bearings were made here in the US, but I can't find it.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the "kit" that's floating around. I went to four different places today, including my favorite mötorhead shop 20mi away. No one had it or was able to do anything but what I can do at home, which is search online...sigh. We'll see. I will try it out, and if it installs correctly I will share my experience.

Try this company to see if they make your bearing replacement. Wolff Engineering out of Needville Texas. I know they make some

Thank you. I like their stuff (Wolff Engineering) and they have a nice replacement for the sector/intermediate shaft bearing, so they may have the upper ones as well.
I ended up removing the whole thing and see it is 32", so the Summit Helix universal may be an option at $191. I am about half way there already with all the stuff I have replaced in this old column....
I can see that without discipline one can easily end up with an eternal project. I thought about, since the column is out, tearing out the bracket that holds the column and pedals, to clean it up. Luckily I told myself NO...focus...focus...get her back on the road asap, live to fight [with my wife] another day....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks