Starter/Flywheel Update

Starter/Flywheel Update

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
So I decided to take some washers and shim the starter because of the horrible noise my 85 CJ was making. Now it actually starts but still real loud. I know I'm gonna have to replace the flywheel as I can see teeth damage. I know I can just replace the ring but I feel for the cost of a new flywheel just replace the whole thing. Still not sure why everything is making noise. Saw a lot on the starters and see the reman autozone ones seem to be a problem and luck would have it./..that's whats in it. So I think I'm gonna replace the flywheel. Clutch components, Rear Main Seal, Starter and Solenoid as well as the ignition Cylinder. My steering wheel wobbles and saw I can take the column apart to tighten bolts. So that's where I'm at. If anyone has any further insight to this loud grinding noise any info is helpful as this is my first jeep in 20 years.

From what I’ve been seeing jeeps don’t have starter shims. I was just trying it with washers to see if it worked.

I strongly urge you to keep your flywheel, and replace the ring gear.
Have the f'wheel resurfaced while you're at it.
Don't lose the f'wheel bolts, as they are a odd length and you don't want longer ones.
After the f'wheel is done-Get a new starter too.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks